Praise for the Unibit!!

Started by cpnyc23, January 30, 2008, 11:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpnyc23

Just wanted to say, that if you drill enclosures with a hand drill, you've GOT to get one!!!

I can't believe how smooth it is!  Perfect holes everytime.

Best $17 I've spent in a long time

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

theundeadelvis

I love them too! You can get step bits cheap from Harbor Freight!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

andrew_k

I've got one of these coming in my latest small bear order, but I'm wonder about drilling 1/4" socket holes in the sides of narrow enclosures; especially the tiny 1590A.

How long is a standard unibit? (excluding the shank that goes in the drill)

Solidhex

I think they might be a little longer than 2 inches? Each step seems to be about a third of an inch or so. I couldn't live without mine. Been using the same one for at least 9 months. I've never had any trouble but I mostly work with 1590's.

--Brad

yano

Rodgre

Quote from: andrew_k on January 30, 2008, 11:54:21 PM
I've got one of these coming in my latest small bear order, but I'm wonder about drilling 1/4" socket holes in the sides of narrow enclosures; especially the tiny 1590A.

This brings up a good point. I have twice made the mistake of drilling holes in a box with the bottom cover screwed in. When I drilled for the large footswitch hole, I poked through the bottom cover!

Lesson learned.  :-[

Roger

sixstringphil

Pushtone

Quote from: andrew_k on January 30, 2008, 11:54:21 PM

I have the Irwin unibit that goes up to 1/2" and it will drill the sides of a 1590A without going through the other side.
I does however leave a small dimple in the oposite side wall. This hole size would be for a standard phone open frame switchcraft jack.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

cpnyc23

I hadn't thought about the 1590A...

I guess I would have figured that out tomorrow when I drill one...
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

andrew_k

Quote from: Pushtone on January 31, 2008, 06:34:22 PM
I have the Irwin unibit that goes up to 1/2" and it will drill the sides of a 1590A without going through the other side.

Awesome man, thanks for confirming that for me.

the recluse

I used the unibits from harbor freight for the first time yesterday and man what a difference.  SOOOOOOOO much easier to deal with that my other (admittedly cheap) drill bits.

soulsonic

I, too, am a fan of the mighty Irwin Unibit! I've got two sizes and they pretty much cover all the bases. It's hard to imagine seeing a 1/2" hole cut that cleanly - truly a miracle tool!
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

JFX09

alternatively, you could use a hand bore and a deburer, works lovely and makes very snug fit.

edit:very cheap too
Happiness is a effin' hot soldering iron

John Lyons

+1 on the hand reamer/borer. Just drill till is almost there and ream the rest of the way. A snug fit every time.
I have a Greenlee stepper bit that goes up to 1 1/8" for octal tube sockets. Try to do that with a regular drill bit!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

the recluse

I have been using a hand reamer to smooth out the holes in my enclosures until I bought this set of unibits, but the harbor freight set actually cost less than my reamer.

studiostud

Yes.  Unibits are amazing.  I've been using them ever since my first pedal build.  I got the 3-pack from Lowes (3 different sizes).  Best electronics related purchase I've ever made.

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.