TBP mod to Marshall ED-1 questions

Started by Ben N, January 31, 2008, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

I love this compressor, except for the bypass, which is old-fashioned output bypass only. So I opened 'er up. There is a blue DPDT switch and two Marshall style jacks mounted to a switching/in/out board. I imagine this part is common to all the little silver Marshall pedals. Anyway I traced the board. Here is the circuit:

The markings are straight from the board. Stupidly, I didn't get the value of the resistor while it was open, and the cap (looks like a tant) doesn't appear to have any markings on it. All the "L"s are black cylinders, looking almost like diodes, but with no markings. Two of them, L1 & L5, have bits of wire sticking out the ends, like messy coils, besides the axial leads.

So: anybody know what those L things are? Two of them are always in series with the signal

Also, to my surprise, it appears that the DPDT is not controlling the LED, but rather some sort of Rat/Millenium thing (I did not trace the main board, to which all the wires from her attach by way of connectors).

And, any suggestions about how to make this true bypass?

And, btw, I imagine that a pcb-mount version of the blue 3PDT stomper would be key--any idea where to find such a thing?

Thanks, all
Ben

• SUPPORTER

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

roseblood11

Very old thread, but it might be interesting for someone, because the whole series of pedals works like this - and has the same tone sucking bypass.

- those "L things" are ferrite beads
- there is no millenium bypass switching for the LED

It's easy to mod the pedal for real true bypass, there are two ways:

a) Use the existing footswitch and add a millenium bypass circuit.
b) Replace the footswitch with a 3pdt

In both cases, rip out the complete switch/jack board.

Add a 2M2 pulldoen resistor at the left side of C4. C4 is the input of the circuit, the wiper of the volume pot is the output.

schematic can be found in this thread: http://forum.musikding.de/vb/showthread.php?25781-half-assed-bypass/page2