Favorite Bazz Fuss Mods, Anyone?

Started by superferrite, February 03, 2008, 01:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehallofshields

Quote from: mac on April 21, 2016, 03:55:50 PM
You can try a big bypassed emitter resistor to send the collector above 7-8 volts... just guessing.
A pot wired as a variable emitter resistor with a 47uf cap can do it.

mac

I'll try that when I get home.

thehallofshields

Quote from: thehallofshields on April 21, 2016, 04:45:11 PM
You can try a big bypassed emitter resistor to send the collector above 7-8 volts... just guessing.

mac

I'll try that when I get home.

I tried it. No luck.

At 100k it starts getting a little muffled and boomy.
At 500k it starts to gate and cut-out.

Not much a change in texture unfortunately.

mac

Another diode in the other way rounds things even more...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

raven72

QuoteDoes the potentiometer have a capacitance value that is affecting the sound that a pair of resistors don't?

The capacitance of a pot, if any, is much, much less than the bypass resistor.
Is your potentiometer linear or log?

QuoteA darlington Bazz Fuss has the sustain of a muff, but sounds like it's all even-order instead of odd-order harmonics. Is there any way to rebias it to change that balance?

mac

Solved the problem....going with a mini PCB mounted pot....oh, and its a 50k linear

thehallofshields

Quote from: mac on April 22, 2016, 12:36:02 AM
Another diode in the other way rounds things even more...

mac

mac, does your mossfuzz get symmetrical clipping?

mac

Quotemac, does your mossfuzz get symmetrical clipping?

With two diodes back to back, the spice plot looks so.

BTW, I noted in the schematic "any mosfet will work", but I have to add that some will sound better than others.

mac

whoisalhedges

Saw a schematic for a Ge Companion yesterday afternoon. Loving the FY-2 as I do, I had to give it a try. I have an AC127 and a beautiful black glass OC140, Hfes around 60-70, low leakage - reoriented the schematic for NPN, and went to work.

Try as I might, I just couldn't get it biased right. Too much + was getting in at my collectors! Tried a half dozen different Rc values, to no avail. Anyway, I didn't want to waste my breadboard time, so I used 'em to build a Ge Darlington Bazz Fuss. I'm glad I did.

Figured it could use a little smoothing out, still got a little farty at the highest amplitudes; so in went a couple Ge diodes back-to-back at the end - oh yeah, that's my other mod, I put the pot at output as a volume control rather than at the beginning. But everybody does that, right? (sorry, Hemmo)

Sounds absolutely killer. It's got a background synthy vibe; but a little more dynamic than the Si Bazz Fusses I've built. It's a neat little circuit.

Clips

I dont know if this has already been mentioned (I skimmed the topic and didnt see it), but I really like to make my own darlingtons when designing Bazz Fusses. You just take two regular non-darlington npn's, and wire them like so: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Darlington_pair_diagram.svg/2000px-Darlington_pair_diagram.svg.png

This lets you mix and match different types of tranistors to get a mix of flavors -- I currently mix a 2N3904 with a low-gain audio bjt I pulled from some scrapped mixer and am happy with the strange dialed-down tone it gives me. Need to finish that project up actually, just gotta fine-tune the filtering and put that baby to work.

I also gotta suggest using a schottky diode or a germanium and see if you like that crazy-hard clipping. Even more synthey madness!

mac

QuoteThis lets you mix and match different types of tranistors to get a mix of flavors -- I currently mix a 2N3904 with a low-gain audio bjt I pulled from some scrapped mixer and am happy with the strange dialed-down tone it gives me. Need to finish that project up actually, just gotta fine-tune the filtering and put that baby to work.

Good point.
A high internal capacitance device like BD237 after a 2n3904 filters a lot of highs.

BTW, I never tried a Si-Ge darlington, maybe because temperature issues...

mac

mayoayox

Working on a 1 knob Bazz Fuss to box up and forget about, cause I love the circuit and I have a 1 knob pre-drilled enclosure.

I like the sound of a BF with the pre-gain rolled back to get a small speaker sound.

sadly the BF is too loud, but I fixed that by measuring resistances with a volume pot. and then approximating those resistances with what I had on hand. so the resistor network at the end is a kind of attenuator.

I also added a diode at the end.

I'll be doing this again tomorrow, except back to basics with a MPSA13 and trying out a bias control with a volume control. So the next BF I do will be a two knob.