fake wah with modded tone control. video

Started by joegagan, February 04, 2008, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

mark hammer talked about tone control type wah effects. i modded my cts 250k pot in my tele so that it has a radical taper, you get the whole sweep in the first 1/4 rotation. also, the trace is sanded off on the cw side so it is a zero-load tone control when turned all the way up.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPVlV1JfZk
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

jmdfd415

Mark Hammer

Yep, that's it.   Nice.

What, pray tell, sits between the volume and tone controls?  Or is it simply the reflection of something on the chrome plate?

joegagan

oh hi mark!

that is the famous treble bleed cap control that we discussed about 5 weeks ago. 500k pot series'd w/.001 silver mica cap across volume pot lugs. total control of treble bleed, can't rave enough about how much i use it and how nice it is.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

snoof

Nice!  Thats the same thing I was trying to describe in the Cat Stevens thread.  Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton type o thing.

joegagan

one more note ,lifted from the other thread:

i sanded the trace to get all the action in the first 25% of rotation. coupled with the lefty effect, i can roll the tone up in the same direction of downpicking (righties have to twist the knob opposite the pickstroke for same effect).

vanessa

Good stuff Joe, that's what you were talking about (bleed cap) in that "Messing with the Q" thread? I wound up getting P90's for some( :icon_lol:) twang and boy do they twang. I just did not like that humbucker in the bridge. I've got it where I can swap pickups in and out
via connector so I'm going back to mess with circuit design in a bit. I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote from: snoof on February 04, 2008, 04:37:43 PM
Nice!  Thats the same thing I was trying to describe in the Cat Stevens thread.  Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton type o thing.

It goes back way before Roy and Danny. They got the idea from those old lap steel players of the 40's and 50's. Western Swing versions of Purple Haze!  :icon_lol:

joegagan

i love p90s. especially for a warm interesting clean tone. so good.

yes this is the circuit for treble bleed that was in the 'messin w the Q" thread. people are probably getting sick of me sqwauking about that mod  ha

tcobretti

Joe, I hadn't realized you were a pro.  Do you play on American Idol or something?  You certainly play the hell out of the guitar.

joegagan

hey thanks guys

i used to be 3rd string fill in for mike fuller's studio gigs in LA

*just kidding mike, don't have to send me another email please*

back to serious
i did about a thousand live shows with my brother tim ( now goes by 'tiger' in nashville) between 95 and '03, so would have hoped i had learned how to jam by then!
we have a lot of great players in this forum, keeps me humble.

petemoore

One humdinger of a tone knob you got there Joe !
  Yupp...you did it this time ! Passive Wah in guitar.
  who'dda thunk it possible.
  If that's just a cap to pot to ground, why not just go with a 1 meg linear [2meg if you can find one], it should get 250k sweep in a 1/4 turn ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

joegagan

yah, petemoore, i did a lot of experiments with pots a few years ago. your theory is correct, a 1 meg worked pretty well if i recall correctly.
also, without modding it is practically as low load as most people would need for the cw position.

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Marossy