Smash Drive Sound sample?

Started by Valoosj, February 04, 2008, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

I just found this layout today, seems like a cool distortion. But are there soundsamples available?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

aron

Auke Haarsma

Valoosj

It sound very good indeed. I think I just have to build it.
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

5thumbs

It is a cool distortion, one of my new favorites.  To oversimplify the sound, it basically sounds like a overdrive pedal (TS or SD-1) cascading into a mid-gain distortion pedal like the DS-1.  Nice singing sustain, tight bass and good note articulation.  I like the complex harmonics as well.  It's not as fizzy/fuzzy as some of the nĂ¼-metal pedals around (MT-2, etc), but that's a good thing.

I recently rebuilt a friend's left-for-dead SM7 Smash Box and have come to like it quite a bit.  (For those curious, some jackhole plugged it into an AC adapter and blew all the semiconductors and the polarized caps.  I rebuilt it as an educational exercise.)

Luckily Aron came through with a sound clip, because I'd be reluctant to record a sound clip for you because the noise suppressor section ("Void Control") isn't yet working 100% on my rehab.  The replacement FETS in the output section are occasionally distorting a little on loud, bass-heavy notes.  I'm going to try some new FETs to try and fix this issue, so I'll get it straight soon enough.

Other than the fun of building an effect yourself, why would you build an SM7 rather than buy one?  I'm going to order a second, new SM7 and they're between $40 and $50 US.  Way cheaper than building one, but I understand that isn't always the reason we build vs. buy.  :)
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

aron

Brett, I think we are talking about different smash drives. The one I posted is a one chip LM386 pedal.

5thumbs

*blush*  Oops, thanks Aron.  I'll hush up and get back to working on memorizing the new Mouser catalog. :)

I do like the Ibanez SM7 Smash Box though, but it sounds like a completely different beast from the Smash Drive y'all are talking about.  Sorry for the mix-up.

-Brett
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

ConanB

I just finished soldering up a vero version of this pedal and bought a box to put it in. Was hoping to maybe get it all done this week, can't wait to give it a play!

Valoosj

tommy.genes

Here's a build report - with clip - on a Smash Drive I did with a Swollen Pickle (modded BMP) tone control:

Smashed Pickle

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

96ecss

Quote from: Valoosj on February 04, 2008, 06:37:19 PM
Aron, it is this one right?
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/Daves-Layouts/Smash_Drive.gif.html

Yes that's the one, Killer Version B. That's my layout. If you build it, please let me know how you like it. Very easy build and sounds good too.

Dave

Valoosj

Will do. I just have to see if I can get my hands on the parts in the local electronics store. I just orderen a bunch of stuff from Germany, so I don't feel like doing that again for just a few parts.