Switching positive ground to negative

Started by mnordbye, February 08, 2008, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

Simply put, is there a simple way? I thought of just switching the ground and live wires on the DC jack (for example in a pnp Fuzz face), but is it really that simple?

Anyway, other suggestions? The goal is to be able to use only one kind of adapter for my pedals.

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

GREEN FUZ

You also need to reverse any polarized components.

tranceracer

My old RAT and an old Crybaby has those 1/8th earphone DC jacks so I use 9V battery snaps and soldered a standard DC jack and was able to use a standard DC wall wart.

I think this should also work for a reverse polarity DC jack effect.

R.G.

Here we go again. You're not the first person to think of this; many have tried it. It has worked OK for some of them. For others, it produced hum and/or oscillation that could only be excised by putting the positive ground back.

Do a search on "reversed ground".

It is far, far simpler to build or buy another wall-wart adapter for the positive ground pedals.

My advice is don't do that unless you're prepared to reverse it if you're not one of the lucky ones.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.