Musicians and DIY Electronics Swap Meet III Sunday February 10 in Berkeley

Started by ErikMiller, February 08, 2008, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikMiller

Tinkery music folks, it's that time of year again, for our Musicians and DIY Electronics Swap Meet at 924 Gilman Street in Berkeley.

The first 2 were great fun, and this one looks to be the best yet.

Sellers get there at 10:00 AM to secure a space; buyers allowed in at 11.

http://www.euthymia.org/Swap/

tiges_ tendres

I have cleaned out the closet for this one!  Is this on craigslist yet?
Try a little tenderness.

brett

Hi
Any chance that we could get 4 to 8 weeks notice, so that people from outside california can put it in their schedules and get there?
It's on tomorrow, but for me it's a 20 hour flight, and I was gonna wash my hair...

thanks
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

ErikMiller

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 09, 2008, 02:03:12 AM
I have cleaned out the closet for this one!  Is this on craigslist yet?

Yes it is! According to the swap page's hit counter, we've gotten over 300 hits in jthe past 24 hours....

tiges_ tendres

I'm even bringing my own table anc chairs!  I am so pumped for this!

If anyone wants to know, here is a list of the stuff I am bringing.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/568314995.html
Add to that a Morley volume pedal, and a Paia Frac Rack

Pumped!
Try a little tenderness.

tiges_ tendres

A good time was had by all!

Hi to everyone I met today, MDH, Mr. Skreddy pedals, Mitch - Super-freq, and Erik of course.

Cant wait for the next one!
Try a little tenderness.

ErikMiller

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 10, 2008, 07:45:29 PM

Hi to everyone I met today, MDH, Mr. Skreddy pedals, Mitch - Super-freq, and Erik of course.

Hey, Steve, glad you made it, and glad you had a good time! We had fewer sellers this time, but  better stuff. We'll see what August brings.

This is the first time 924 Gilman have scheduled a show after our swap, so there was more bustling about by Gilman staffer-volunteers making the scene for Pinhead Gunpowder.

Dunno if you ever make it to the East Bay; phone me up if you wanna drop by Euthymia Labs.

soggybag

Swap meet was a fun time. Not as many people as last time. I should have brought my solder iron and spent the time working on stuff!

The guy next to me got the deal of the day. He bought a Hot Cake, which looked new in the box, even had a battery still in plastic. The seller said it didn't work. So the guy that bought it bangs it on the table and all of a sudden it's working!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: ErikMiller on February 11, 2008, 01:40:11 AM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 10, 2008, 07:45:29 PM

Hey, Steve, glad you made it, and glad you had a good time! We had fewer sellers this time, but  better stuff. We'll see what August brings.

This is the first time 924 Gilman have scheduled a show after our swap, so there was more bustling about by Gilman staffer-volunteers making the scene for Pinhead Gunpowder.

Dunno if you ever make it to the East Bay; phone me up if you wanna drop by Euthymia Labs.

I might just take you up on that!  Thanks

Sorry to hear your box of tubes get dropped on the floor.  That was not a pleasant sound.

And the show after the swap, I couldnt believe how many kids were waiting!  The show didnt even start til 5 and they were around the block!
Try a little tenderness.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: soggybag on February 11, 2008, 01:59:59 PM
Swap meet was a fun time. Not as many people as last time. I should have brought my solder iron and spent the time working on stuff!

The guy next to me got the deal of the day. He bought a Hot Cake, which looked new in the box, even had a battery still in plastic. The seller said it didn't work. So the guy that bought it bangs it on the table and all of a sudden it's working!

What!!!??? Sad I missed that!  Those guys next to you kept pulling out more cool stuff!  were they from a shop?

Try a little tenderness.

ErikMiller

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 11, 2008, 02:00:30 PM
Sorry to hear your box of tubes get dropped on the floor.  That was not a pleasant sound.

I appreciate your sympathy. I thought/think it was pretty hilarious, so over the top, like "what can go wrong now?" Well, just after loading up your seller table, the legs could fall off dropping everything to a concrete floor!

They're recent manufacture pull tubes I sell for $1 or $2 and I lost maybe half a dozen of them. So it sounded WAY worse than it actually was.

And the show after the swap, I couldnt believe how many kids were waiting!  The show didnt even start til 5 and they were around the block!

Billie Joe fills stadiums with his other band.

It was like the punk rock class of '93 reunion.

They actually gave me a guest list spot, but we were too wiped out to go back to the show.

ErikMiller

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 11, 2008, 02:03:03 PM
What!!!??? Sad I missed that!  Those guys next to you kept pulling out more cool stuff!  were they from a shop?

That was Jeremy/Charmless and Ian/Delorean next to Soggy. Big time gear heads. Ian was building pedals for a while, and briefly turned pro with a loop box called the Krok.

They check Craig's List throughout the day and snag stuff just to try it out and then turn around and sell if they don't want to keep it, which they often do not.

One of my amp repair clients walked in with one of those Casio guitaroid things with the plastic strings and built-in drum machine and I told him to go straight to Ian's table. Ian was already 3 steps toward him and did wind up trading for it.

mdh

Yes, there was definitely some good stuff.  I got a "brain machine" kit from Mitch Altman, which I'll probably just use to learn a bit about AVR programming.  I think my $2 DOD Flanger 575 might be a pretty damn good deal if it works.  Even if it doesn't, I would have paid at least as much just for the enclosure.  I also got one of Mitchell's boards with a set of jacks... still have to decide what to build on it.

I'm definitely looking forward to August!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: ErikMiller on February 11, 2008, 03:06:01 PM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on February 11, 2008, 02:03:03 PM

That was Jeremy/Charmless and Ian/Delorean next to Soggy. Big time gear heads. Ian was building pedals for a while, and briefly turned pro with a loop box called the Krok.

They check Craig's List throughout the day and snag stuff just to try it out and then turn around and sell if they don't want to keep it, which they often do not.

One of my amp repair clients walked in with one of those Casio guitaroid things with the plastic strings and built-in drum machine and I told him to go straight to Ian's table. Ian was already 3 steps toward him and did wind up trading for it.

He tried to trade that casio guitar for my Omnichord!  I was very tempted, but the omnichord was the first non guitar based electronic item that I succesfully brought back from the grave.  Plus, the only instrument my wife can play.

I just have to say though, I traded my Stylophone and an eq pedal with Mitchell for one of his delay pedals.  I got home and opened it up and couldnt believe just how neat his soldering is.  If you ever get the chance to look at his work it really is a thing of beauty.
Try a little tenderness.

soggybag

I can't believe you are trying to reverse engineer my pedal that built from someone else's schematic!

All joking aside. The Swap was a fun time for all. I might have to reverse engineer the Stylophone.

Thanks again to Eirk for putting it on again.

tiges_ tendres

Try a little tenderness.