Talkbox sounds

Started by boedonaldson, February 09, 2008, 03:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boedonaldson

Howdy, Ive just bought a Heil Talkbox. I am wondering if its just me or do they tend to sound very buzzing, I do realise its only a small speaker, but im just wondering. Any tips on appropriate EQ settings for my amp would be appreciated also.

Jonny Perez

do you have it hooked up correctly? maybe the speaker is blown?

i had this problem once, but i cant, for the life of me remember what i did to save it...

boedonaldson

Everythings hooked up correctly. I just tried it with my Marshall 12watt Lead and it sounded sweet though. First time a solid state amp has sounded better than a tube. What other amps do people run through these with great results.

jayp5150

Mine can be buzzy. I've found that it sounds much better with a lower wattage amp. I normally run it with my 5150 (120 watts), but I messed around with the Classic 30 one day, and it was much nicer.

I've wondered if maybe a cap swap would help that out, but I've never dug into it enough.

Oh, I've also heard other people say that a smaller tube will give you a more defined sound, but again, I haven't gotten around to it lol. You can buy that type of tubing at Lowe's or Home Depot, and just piece together whatever adapters you need to size it down. The extremely overpriced Framptone comes with an adjustable collar for this reason.

jayp5150

I don't know why I didn't think of it when I was typing, but I remembered late last night that when I got my Talkbox, the screen over the horn was loose.

If you take the collar off, there's a washer and a screen in there. I simply slathered the washer (on the screen side) with some silicone gasket maker (RTV, permatex, etc.), and let it set up for a few minutes, then screwed everything back together. Now it's all tight, no rattles.

You could check that, you never know.