USB oscilloscopes

Started by handwire, February 07, 2008, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handwire

Whats the word on USB/PC based oscilloscopes?? Do i need an extra card on my PC?? Can they do everything a physical one?? How accurate are they?? thanks in advance

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you are in a country (USA) where you can get a reasonably cheap secondhand analog scope, I'd go for that.
But I'd be interested in opinions of people who are using USB scopes, if any are here.
And, the USB scope is entirely external to the computer.

R.G.

I use a Picoscope. Works great. It is limited to signals no larger than +/-20V, but most of our stuff can be done with that. A 10:1 probe gets you to +/-200V, not quite enough for tube amps.

But I also have a couple of analog scopes. I find the signal range and resolution of the analog scopes useful, but hate that I can't capture and post-process data. I find the accuracy and capture abilities of the Pico incredibly useful, but hate that I have to be careful not to overvolt it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Roobin

You might want to have a look at http://www.sillanumsoft.org/, which uses just your soundcard!

R.G.

Soundcard software is much better than nothing. But it does have its limitations.

One of these, and the reason I bought the $300 Picoscope is that the frequency response of the soundcard is limited to audio. The sampling frequency is usually 44kHz or 48kHz. They have built in lowpass filters to keep signals higher than 20kHz or so from getting in to prevent aliasing in the sampling. So if your effect is oscillating at 25kHz or has RF pickup, you can't see it at all.

Your measuring instruments are your electronic eyes - but it's important to know what they can see and what they can't see.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

miqbal

Quote from: R.G. on February 09, 2008, 09:44:46 AM
Your measuring instruments are your electronic eyes - but it's important to know what they can see and what they can't see.

Cool... RG, that's the keyword. One has to be smarter than his own measuring instrument... but sometimes he isn't, like me :icon_confused:
M. IqbaL
Jakarta

alanlan

+1 on the Picoscope, it's a great little piece of kit.  The only down-side is that you need to connect it up to a PC and there's an adaptor i.e. it's not so self contained (edit but mine's a parallel port not USB).  If I really had the money I'd love one of those little Tektronix scopes.

These are the USB Picoscopes:
http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope.html

gaussmarkov

i have been eyeing those picoscopes for a while now.  knowing that you two are using them with satisfaction seals the deal.  now i just have to get it into the budget.  :icon_biggrin: