DRAGONFLY'S NOOB BUILDER CONTEST !

Started by Dragonfly, February 10, 2008, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

OK...heres the deal...

I'm going to GIVE AWAY a multimeter...its not a top quality one, but its a very good "starter" MM. It will measure transistor HFE, ohms, voltage, etc, etc. If I'm in a very good mood, I might even throw in a "parts pack" assortment !

This contest is for BEGINNERS ONLY ! I know some more seasoned guys will be tempted, but I want to encourage new people to enjoy this hobby, so for that reason, only beginners please. Also, since I'm paying for this out of my own pocket, US members only. I hate having to do that, but shipping within the USA is cheaper, and I'm not a rich man (quite the opposite...).

Here's how to win it....

1) You must have completed the "BEGINNERS PROJECT" successfully, and post
a picture of your completed build in this thread. <---HEY YOU ...CLICK HERE !

2) You must post the formula for Ohms Law in the linked thread !

3) You must type out a good, but clean joke and post it in the linked thread !

I will choose from the first 5 entries...so post a picture, a joke, and ohms law...the joke had better be good !  :)

joegagan

i will throw in a grab bag of caps and resistors + 10 omeg 100k pots into the prize.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Dragonfly

Quote from: joegagan on February 10, 2008, 01:41:12 PM
i will throw in a grab bag of caps and resistors + 10 omeg 100k pots into the prize.

YEAH ! Thats what I'm talking about !

mountainking

Excellent idea! I'll put together a bag of useful goods as well to throw into the prize pot. I'll check around tonight when I get home and get back to you guys.

Dragonfly

This could turn out to be a really cool contest...thanks guys !

12milluz

Dang it! Now I wish I didn't get into this until now. :P

But really guys, this is great! I hope this will give some more people that little boost (pun intended) to join us in this hobby! I'm sorry I don't have anything to give out.
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic

Dragonfly

Quote from: 12milluz on February 10, 2008, 03:26:53 PM
Dang it! Now I wish I didn't get into this until now. :P

But really guys, this is great! I hope this will give some more people that little boost (pun intended) to join us in this hobby!
Thats what I'm hoping as well.

I'm sorry I don't have anything to give out.

Not true. You can give experience and help to guys starting out. Thats AT LEAST as valuable than a few parts and a DMM IMO...

earthtonesaudio

So what are the qualifications for "beginner?"   ::)

By the way, is that meter from Harbor Freight?

Dragonfly

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on February 10, 2008, 03:44:10 PM

"beginners" have done the beginner project ...maybe one other project...but not substantial projects...usually they'll have low post counts as well...

and yep...i buy one every time im @ harbour freight and give them out to friends or beginners in the hobby...i have 5 or 6 of them still...

Dragonfly

Due to overwhelming response by people willing to "chip in" on prizes, I'm wondering if maybe we should award a Grand Prize and 4 Runner Up Prizes to the 5 contestants...what do you guys think ?

zachomega

I do the same thing everytime I order from futurlec.com.  I have 2 or 3 meters I've never used yet...Everytime I order, I seem to get a different model meter too.  It is kind of fun.  For a 6$ meter, it has outlasted any of my expectations. 

-Zach 

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 10, 2008, 03:55:24 PM

"beginners" have done the beginner project ...maybe one other project...but not substantial projects...usually they'll have low post counts as well...

and yep...i buy one every time im @ harbour freight and give them out to friends or beginners in the hobby...i have 5 or 6 of them still...

The French connection

Hi! I've done a GGG phaser ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg513839#msg513839 ) as first try and i'm working on my first tube screamer with rotary switch clipper mod with the PCB from GGG. I've a few post here and i think i'm a beginner...Ho i've done a PEEP expression pedal from Devi Ever also but that was'nt that hard... :). Is this contest just for real American only :D or a Québecois from Canada can apply?

Thank's and great contest!

Dan
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

Dragonfly

Quote from: The French connection on February 10, 2008, 07:17:01 PM

Hi! I've done a GGG phaser ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg513839#msg513839 ) as first try and i'm working on my first tube screamer with rotary switch clipper mod with the PCB from GGG. I've a few post here and i think i'm a beginner...Ho i've done a PEEP expression pedal from Devi Ever also but that was'nt that hard... :). Is this contest just for real American only :D or a Québecois from Canada can apply?

Thank's and great contest!

Dan

If the other "prizegivers" are willing to ship worldwide, Then we can open up the contest a bit. I'll leave it up to Joe, Mountainking, and DryRoast...I'm willing to open up the contest to worldwide members... :) The original plan was to make a small contest that encouraged people to continue with this hobby, and the "giving spirit" of other members here has made this contest FAR exceed my expectations....

Now we just need some entires !  :D

Dan...you'll need to complete the beginners project to enter. :)

mountainking

OK, so I can throw in a handful of transistors(bjt, jfet and mosfet), diodes/leds, a couple ics and probably a few other things.

Alan

Dragonfly

Quote from: mountainking on February 10, 2008, 08:10:36 PM
OK, so I can throw in a handful of transistors(bjt, jfet and mosfet), diodes/leds, a couple ics and probably a few other things.

Alan

MK...
  do you think we should send all the prizes to one central place and ship from there, or should we just ship individually ?
  I wonder if Aron would like to help coordinate ?

mountainking

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 10, 2008, 08:27:03 PM

Alan

MK...
  do you think we should send all the prizes to one central place and ship from there, or should we just ship individually ?

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I guess I'm thinking that shipping them from one central place would be best.

Dragonfly

Quote from: mountainking on February 10, 2008, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on February 10, 2008, 08:27:03 PM

Alan

MK...

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I guess I'm thinking that shipping them from one central place would be best.

I PM'd Aron to find out what his thoughts on this are...

BaLaClavaAa

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dragonfly

Quote from: ambulancevoice on February 10, 2008, 09:38:31 PM
ive added an entry

Great looking build...BUT...Rule #1 is that it must be the Beginners Project (Gus' NPN Boost)... so get going !

BTW...I know you live way away from an electronics store...if you are short a few parts for the NPN Boost, PM me and I'll send them out to you... :)