clean mini amp ??

Started by 1878, February 11, 2008, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been looking at building a mini amp for recording purposes, but I'd like a clean sound. Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance.

Nasse

How about TDA7370 chip for stereo amp or TDA2030 for mono amp...
  • SUPPORTER

Fender56

Hi!

If you want to go with tube, you can use the output section of the Sopht Amp, which uses a single-ended 12K5 tube @ 12 Volts for less than 0.5 Watt. Nice for low-volume recording!

http://www.sophtamps.ca/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=37

Parts can be ordered at:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

I've build one, but I was never able to get a good clean sound from the preamp, even with heavy modifications. I'm testing right now some boosters instead (AMZ mini-booster, Sparkle Drive, etc). I'm looking for a country-cleanish tone, just a very little bit of crunch. I'm using external overdrive pedal for my distorted tone.

Krinor

If you want it really simple, build a Ruby with the "Bassman" mods and put it in a nice cabinet with a speaker of good quality. I recently built my little deluxe version in an oak cabinet with two vintage 8" speakers in paralell. When run at 12 volts this thing is very clean indeed. For added flexibilty I put a trimpot in place of the preset gain resistor. Using a socket for the buffer jfet and the IC is also a good idea since this enables you to try different components. This is not a loud amp, but if you mic it up close it can produce some fine results.

scaesic

Quote from: Nasse on February 11, 2008, 12:17:17 PM
How about TDA7370 chip for stereo amp or TDA2030 for mono amp...

I have a 3/4's built amp based on the tda2050 which is intended to be super clean.

it goes "mosfet boost" -> "polytone tone stack"->"tda2050"

I have to do finishing touches to the power supply and solder the 2050 board, then do the testing. Except everything stalled when i got a full time job...

petemoore

Lm3886 is another 'easy' amp with higher wattage [one of 'em can do like 68w].
  'easy' as far as looking at the schematic, and wiring the signal path.
  but the amp schematic and board population is almost like an 'addendum' to the chassis, power supply and heat sink considerations and tasks.
  I preferred working with the Lm3886'TF', an isolated body IC made it easier for me to make isolated heat sink work.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

squidsquad

petemoore

It is !
  I glossed over the tube thing.
  I just went back and read through the sopht...what a great choice for a little amp !
  I had one in my '67 Caddilac, that Radio sounded very sweet and ~clean, had I been thinking I would have pulled the unit, and would have been playing guitar through it..
  Somehow it worked without buzz or hum on a battery recieving charge current...perhaps the battery can be treated in similar fashion as when connected to a car battery and alternator..more like a huge filter cap than a  battery.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

I think I'll take the Ruby/Bassman route. I found a couple of cheap 12" 4 ohm speakers begging to be coupled with one of these things.

Cheers everyone.

Ben N

For a pittance more you can make it a Little Gem Mk II and double the wattage/headroom.
  • SUPPORTER