Tonights Fuzz Experiment (includes sound clip and schematic !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 14, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Hey! Sounds pretty good. FUZZY for sure. Darker tone and matches that sluggy riffage as well.
I like taking the output off the collector with less resistance like that, lots of level on tap usually.
Maybe I'm slow...what's VMF Valentine something?

Dial up here...no can do myspace...takes f  o  r  e  v  e  r.

BTW I got those Transistors today, thanks!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dragonfly

Quote from: John Lyons on February 14, 2008, 09:59:12 PM
Hey! Sounds pretty good. FUZZY for sure. Darker tone and matches that sluggy riffage as well.
I like taking the output off the collector with less resistance like that, lots of level on tap usually.
Maybe I'm slow...what's VMF Valentine something?

Dial up here...no can do myspace...takes f  o  r  e  v  e  r.

BTW I got those Transistors today, thanks!!

John

Valentines Massacre Fuzz  :)

Commemorative.

Baktown

Dude!

That sound is amazing!  You are truly the King Of Fuzz in my book!

Rock on!

Rick

Dragonfly

Quote from: Baktown on February 14, 2008, 10:51:02 PM
Dude!

That sound is amazing!  You are truly the King Of Fuzz in my book!

Rock on!

Rick

:icon_redface:

Now you have me blushing....

You should build this one...it's pretty cool...I'm DEFINITELY going to refine and box it up !

The diode in the feedback loop I thought was interesting....I hadnt seen anyone doing that before. Ive run diodes of Q1's emitter, and the old Joe Davisson "Antiquity Fuzz" setup...but never in place of the resistor in the loop.

Baktown

I'm making my 16 year old metalhead son listen to the clip as we speak.  He says (and I quote) "Sounds like stoner hippies"...

I can't think of a better endorsement than that!

Rick

Dragonfly

Quote from: Baktown on February 14, 2008, 11:01:33 PM
I'm making my 16 year old metalhead son listen to the clip as we speak.  He says (and I quote) "Sounds like stoner hippies"...

I can't think of a better endorsement than that!

Rick

:o ;D :o ;D  :o ;D

Baktown

You should post a video of you in the various stages of building one of your pedals on YouTube.  I think all your many fans would enjoy seeing video demos of your pedals, maybe with you giving tips on how to dial in the best sounds.  You could call it "Dragonfly's Fuzzology 101".

Rick

kurtlives

Ohhh very dark and mean....Me like...

I like how you usually just have a volume control and thats it.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

ItZaLLgOOd

Can I ask how you record your sound clips?  They always sound great.
+1 on The King of Fuzz ;D
Lifes to short for cheap beer

culturejam

Dragonfly:

Dude, you rule.  That tone is f*cking sick.

I'm so etching this as soon as I can crank out a layout. And then the tinkering will begin.

I really dig how you share your findings (layouts, paint swirling, this new badass fuzz, etc). I'm an "open source" kind of guy, so I appreciate what you're doing. And this kind of openness with information is helping me and many others learn.

Thanks, man.

culturejam

By the way, what's the scoop on having two +9v connections? I don't quite understand. I'm assuming I can just split off from a single 9v source?

Sorry if this question is a little amateurish.  :icon_redface:

Alex C

Quote from: culturejam on February 15, 2008, 12:21:06 AM
By the way, what's the scoop on having two +9v connections? I don't quite understand. I'm assuming I can just split off from a single 9v source?

In the same way that all the ground points (the upside-down traingles) connect together, all (both in this case) points labeled "9V" connect together, and this junction connects to the power supply.

-Alex

dxm1

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That 1k emitter resistor - maybe it could be a 1K trimpot with the cap to the wiper.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on February 15, 2008, 03:01:44 AM
That 1k emitter resistor - maybe it could be a 1K trimpot with the cap to the wiper.

Absolutely....it would work as a gain control. A 2k trimmer might be even more useful.

Dragonfly

Quote from: culturejam on February 15, 2008, 12:21:06 AM

Sorry if this question is a little amateurish.  :icon_redface:

Nope...its a good question...

you can absolutely tie the two 9v points together....also, i'd suggest adding a 47uf - 100uf cap to ground from the +9v supply to filter noise.

Dragonfly

Quote from: culturejam on February 14, 2008, 11:58:12 PM
Dragonfly:

Dude, you rule.  That tone is f*cking sick.

I'm so etching this as soon as I can crank out a layout. And then the tinkering will begin.

I really dig how you share your findings (layouts, paint swirling, this new badass fuzz, etc). I'm an "open source" kind of guy, so I appreciate what you're doing. And this kind of openness with information is helping me and many others learn.

Thanks, man.

:)

I feel like I owe it to Jack, RG, Aron, Mark, Gus, and all the others here to "give back".... they, knowingly or unknowingly, taught me TONS because they gave their knowledge freely....

ambulancevoice

i swear that is the best sound clip you have ever done

whats the hfe of the tranies???
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money