Buit an A/B switch with LEDs, and the 9 volts gets sent to amp when plugging in.

Started by Sir_Ian, February 15, 2008, 03:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir_Ian

Hi, I'm new here, so be kind, thanks. I think this is the right place for the question, but if it isn't, I'm sorry, and I'd ask if you'd please point me in the correct direction.

I built a simple A/B switch, and I'm using a stereo input to make a complete circuit for the battery, so it doesn't drain. If I have it all turned on and going to my amp and I plug in my guitar to the input, it overloads the amp, and I'm 99% sure that this is because for a split second it is sending the 9 volts to the amp.

From all my reading, I believe solution is to put a capacitor on the input wire to stop DC current. Is this right? If so, what size capacitor will work. I'm thinking a .1uf, but I don't really know. I just saw that that is what the "debugging" tool uses, and I assume its for this reason.

Also, I do have another question. I build a talkbox, and I know most people drive theirs with a practice amp. I have two practice amps and neither of them has a line out like my 100 watt amp does. Are people just disconneting their spearker and running the signal to their talkbox. If so, I have a good idea on how to do it (attach jacks for quick and easy connections) but if not, how do I.

Thanks in advance for any help. Its much appreciated.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

R O Tiree

You are using the negative wire from the battery to the stereo socket? Had to ask.

The only other thing I can think of is inrush current, as the LED lights up. It's certainly one source of popping in pedals.

A schematic would help, along with a picture of what you've hooked up.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Sir_Ian

I have it wired correctly with negative going to the input jack ring. (it's ok that you asked, I'm not offended).

I think i need to be more clear. It only overloads the amp for a split second, and that second is as I am pluging in my cable to the input jack. For a split second, I believe the tip and the ring are making a connection, thereby sending the 9 volts to the amp. Once I have the jack all the way in, the problem is solved. So, as long as I plug in the input first, and the output second, I'm fine. And I could know this and life would be ok. But I'm thinking of giving the pedal to my brother and I don't want him to someday forget and blow something on his Fender DeVille. He'd hate me.

I think this is the same problem all guitar pedals would have if they didn't have a capacitor to block the voltage. I'm just not sure what size capacitor I need.

If would help, I could put up a pic or schematic, but its just a simple a/b switch, and everything is wired correctly, because it works fine. As i said, the problem is only for that split second.

R O Tiree

OK, experiment time. Take the battery out. Now plug everything in and switch the amp on. Lastly, connect the battery.

If you get a pop as you connect the battery, it's inrush current into the LED and I can point you at a circuit to tame this.

If you don't get a pop as you connect the battery, then it's the jack.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Sir_Ian

Ok, I plugged it all in and disconnected the battery and connected it back it. I got a few crackles, but not the big BOOM I get when I put in the input jack.

So I think I might have both problems, but the input jack is definately a major problem that needs fixed. Would you also point me in the direction of a schematic to stop the inrush to LEDs as well?

thanks

Do you mind me asking you one more question? I'm thinking after this I want to try building a guitar pedal (this A/B switch has been relatively painless). The question is, is it cheaper to buy all the parts seperately online, or just order a kit from someone like Build Your Own Clone?

Sir_Ian

I know this is a shameless bump, but I don't want to make a whole new topic. Since my problem is for sure the 9 volt battery going to my amp for a split second....

will a  .1uf capacitor due the trick? or should i use smaller or bigger?

thanks