rehousing a line6 tonecore pedal?

Started by caress, February 15, 2008, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caress

has anyone here rehoused a line6 tonecore pedal or module?

JasonG

Those things are cool but a bit goofy. I would not try it.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Mark Hammer

Um, what exactly would you rehouse it into?

Processaurus

l
                        l
                         l
                          l
                           l
                           V

ianmgull

I wouldn't mind doing this myself. It would be nice to have two separate stomp switches (bypass, tempo) for the echo park. I'm just waiting to  break off one of those little knobs with my comically oversized foot.

Rodgre

Quote from: ianmgull on February 16, 2008, 12:39:11 AM
I wouldn't mind doing this myself. It would be nice to have two separate stomp switches (bypass, tempo) for the echo park. I'm just waiting to  break off one of those little knobs with my comically oversized foot.

Here's a picture of Ianmgull.

I don't know what you're talking about. Your feet look fine to me. I love your shoes, by the way.

Roger

ianmgull

Quote from: Rodgre on February 16, 2008, 12:46:35 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. Your feet look fine to me. I love your shoes, by the way.

Roger

Yes but whenever I walk anywhere it sounds like Charlie Brown's parents are following me...

...time to lay off the Nyquil  :o ...it's bedtime... (remembers to turn off soldering iron!)

caress

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 15, 2008, 09:12:46 PM
Um, what exactly would you rehouse it into?

i would like to try rehousing into a hammond enclosure.  i mostly hate the weight of the pedal, the tiny cheap knobs and the fugliness of it.  no offense to anyone who likes their look, of course, it's just not my aesthetic.  it's a huge reverb, though!   ;)

SonicVI

I don't know if you've seen inside one of them, but it would be WAY more of a headache than it's worth imo, especially the on/off switch which is not a normal pushbutton switch that would be easily replaced.

Mark Hammer

SonicVI is correct.

Now, ianmgull's comment about wishing there were two separate switches for tap tempo and bypass is something I can identify with.  I like the pedal line but I find the two treadle-sharing switches differentiated by how hard you push a sore spot.  The good news is that they are both simple SPST switches, and if you can run wires from the pads where the switches are installed to off-board/outboard stompswitches with a nicer feel, that would be good.  It is certainly feasible, but given the tinyness of the pads and traces i there, you have to know what you're doing with a soldering iron.

SonicVI

Here's a pic of the switches.  That thing with the metal discs under the plastic is the on/off switch. The way it works is when you press hard on the switch the center of the disks press down onto a circular pad on the pcb. So there aren't actaully any solder pads for wires, but you could just wire the switch to the contacts on the pcb.

caress

ahhhh.  ok.  i haven't actually taken mine apart yet because i can't find a hex wrench...  :P

i thought it might be a bit simpler in there...  i think i'll pass.   :D

SonicVI

You'd also have the problem of securing the module in the new box.

caress

i wasn't too concerned about that.  i'd probably just ghetto rig it with hot glue or something.  does anyone know which circuitry lies within the actual module vs the pedal?  if the pedal contains only the on/off, buffers, power regulation, etc... then i would try it, but it seems that there's a lot more lurking there...

Processaurus

The module is just all the pots, which send individual CV's to the main box (I believe), and also the Bi-color LED, and finally an smt eprom with the code for the pedal on it.  It has a bunch of gold tabs that connect to the nintendo cartridge-like bay in the main pedal.

I've worried about the chinsey knobs on mine, I was thinking about bolting a little plate or thick-ish plexiglass or something on somehow to make a roll bar, but I have had mine for a while and haven't had any trouble stomping on them or dinging them in transport.