Triumph! (and a question)

Started by Deep Blue, September 19, 2003, 11:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

Firstly, I want to express my extreme gratification at making a pedal work with only about an hour and a half of debugging.

Secondly, I have a problem with my soldering iron.

When soldering, I got a glob on the end of the iron.  Generally I wipe it off, but for whatever stupid reason, I forgot to, or didn't notice.  So the solder sat on the hot iron until it solidified.  Now, the end of my soldering iron is rounded off by solder that I cannot remove.  It give me a lot less accuracy.  Is there anything I can do to remove the solder?  Heating up the iron and rubbing it on wet sponges and whatnot has failed me thusfar.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

Rodgre

can you replace the tip on the iron? What kind of iron is it?

Roger

petemoore

but I used to scrape it with a razor knife of file it with a file/sandpaper ...to get that thing honed down where I like it!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Jered

bwanasonic

Have you tried desoldering braid?

Kerry M

Andy

I have the same problem man.  I have to be VERY careful when I solder and make sure that I keep my tip wiped off and tinned.  I have ruined MANY a tip!! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!   :P
Andy

drew

This used to happen to me all the time when I used Rat Shack soldering irons.... about four years ago I finally bought a Weller soldering iron and a few tips, and haven't looked back since!

My last Weller tip lasted two years, and I modified/built about 20-30 entire circuits throughout that time... Keeping it clean with a damp sponge and using Kester "No Clean" 0.031 63/37 solder didn't hurt either, I think.

drew
toothpastefordinner.com