Transparent self-adhesive sheets

Started by mnordbye, February 21, 2008, 02:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

I've recently bought some of these from Das Musikding.
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p605_Transparent-self-adhesive-sheet-14-8x10-5-cm-laserjet.html

I bought those because i've found waterslide decals to be really hard to do. I haven't been able to get one single "okay" transfer with them.

Anyway, since these aren't plain A4 in paper size (they are 14,8 x 10,5 cm), can someone give me some tips on how i should setup my printer?

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Andre

I first print the frontpanel design on A4 (in black & white to save the color cartridge).
Then I cut the sticky photopaper to about the right size and place it on to  the A4 with the design on it, so that it covers the print,
and secure it with some sticky tape.
Next I put that A4 back in the printer, change the settings to color printing and glossy finish, and print again.
I'm not sure if all inkjet printers can handle this, but my HP Deskjet 950C has no problems with it.
Can't tell if it will work with or maybe even damage a laser printer.

André

mnordbye

I forgot to say that i use a laserjet printer. :)

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

cab42

I have used the same sheets from musikding with success using almost the same method as André.

Regards

Carsten

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

mnordbye

Okay, so, you guys glue the self adhesive paper onto a standard A4 paper before printing? I could see how that gives the printer better grip on the thing..

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Andre

Yes, and by printing your design on the A4 first, you know where to position your self adhesive paper.

Maybe it's better to use paper glue instead of sticky tape, because it all gets pretty hot in a laserprinter and I don't know
if sticky tape can stand this heat.

I was just thinking that the papersize 10.5 x 14.8 is A5 size.
I checked with one of the HP Color Laserprinters here at work and it does accept A5 in landscape mode through manual feed.
If your printer also accepts A5 in manual feed, you just need to set the right papersize and orientation in your program's page setup.

André

mnordbye

thanks for the replies, i will certainly try this when i'm gonna make those good looking pedals.. :)

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

mnordbye

I did what you suggested, and it worked like a dream. Thank you!

Anyway, these "transparent" sheets aren't very transparent. After i've aplied it, i can clearly see that it's there. I believe it's because of the light glue on the back of them. Do you guys have any ideas how to battle this in the future?

Thought of maybe "melting" the glue away with a hairdryer, but that might just be crazy.  :D

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Mick Bailey

The safest tape to use in laser printers is brown 'gum strip' (at least that's what it's called in the UK). It has the same adhesive base as old-fashioned envelopes and doesn't ooze or break down when hot. Lick it - stick it.

Artists use it for stretching watercolour paper.

mnordbye

Okey, sounds cool. Do you know where i can get some? And, is it completely transparent? Cause if not, i might as well use the one i have, which is perfect, except for that non-transparent effect.  ;)

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

jpm83

gez

Quote from: jpm83 on March 08, 2008, 06:53:38 AM
Could you use this book covering stuff with inkjet printer? http://www.brandex.fi/prod_info.aspx?prod=8880624

Janne

Not sure what that stuff is, but it looks suspiciously like (what we refer to in the UK as) 'sticky-back-plastic', AKA Fablon.  It doesn't work with inkjet: the ink doesn't take to the surface and wipes off. 

What you can do with inkjets, however, is turn the fact that many 'clear' labels aren't totally transparent to your advantage.  Print off a backing colour (darker than you need it as it'll come out lighter), allow to dry and then run it through again to overlay your lettering.  When you slap it on the box, the backing is translucent and allows the silver-coloured metal to show through, giving a coloured marbling effect.  With yellow backing, you can get pseudo copper/brass effects, but I prefer to use purples, blues and reds.

[Edit]  here you go:

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jpm83

Quote from: gez on March 08, 2008, 07:05:18 AM
Quote from: jpm83 on March 08, 2008, 06:53:38 AM
Could you use this book covering stuff with inkjet printer? http://www.brandex.fi/prod_info.aspx?prod=8880624

Janne

Not sure what that stuff is, but it looks suspiciously like (what we refer to in the UK as) 'sticky-back-plastic', AKA Fablon.  It doesn't work with inkjet: the ink doesn't take to the surface and wipes off. 

What you can do with inkjets, however, is turn the fact that many 'clear' labels aren't totally transparent to your advantage.  Print off a backing colour (darker than you need it as it'll come out lighter), allow to dry and then run it through again to overlay your lettering.  When you slap it on the box, the backing is translucent and allows the silver-coloured metal to show through, giving a coloured marbling effect.  With yellow backing, you can get pseudo copper/brass effects, but I prefer to use purples, blues and reds.

It's this stuff. http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers/clear-contact-paper-105240.aspx
So it may not work in here, but it think you could use it as a etch mask if you would cut the pattern in it.

Janne

Mick Bailey

Quote from: mnordbye on March 08, 2008, 06:25:39 AM
Okey, sounds cool. Do you know where i can get some? And, is it completely transparent? Cause if not, i might as well use the one i have, which is perfect, except for that non-transparent effect.  ;)

Magnus Nordbye

The gumstrip is just for sticking smaller squares of whatever you want to print on (Lazertran, PNP, etc) in place.