making one guitar player sound like two

Started by royzic, February 24, 2008, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royzic

Hello everyone

i need help building an effect that would make one guitar player sound like two,,
i want to build a very simple delay that will have only one repeat,identical to the original. and will have two outputs, one dry and one wet,
each output will be sent to a different amp ..

looking at the first version of the rebote delay makes me think it's a good candidate-
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=33
what do you think?

-Roy

MarcoMike

the Behringer supercheap delay does what you are looking for pretty well!

of course a DIY thing would be more fun, but you're just asking for a single identical repeat...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

royzic

Hi MarcoMike

Thanks for replying,
i know there are several  alternatives in the market, but i want to build one that is totally dedicated to this purpose.
and yes i want to build it myself..

because of the simplicity of it i think the rebote #1 would be great. i would like to know how to split the signal .
(don't have to be with an on\off switch eather)

will a diffrent version (with an IC buffer) be better?

-Roy

R.G.

What do you think the origin of the term "chorus" was for?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Zben3129

Is this for studio or live?

This won't be helpful I'm sure, but if its studio, go Jimmy Page style and record them all individually :)

If not, I would have recommended Rebote, but seems you have already reccomended that to yourself  ;D

Zach

royzic

Quote from: R.G. on February 24, 2008, 12:58:37 PM
What do you think the origin of the term "chorus" was for?

:)  i know, i know,,  had a ch-1 before and thought about that too.  it is cool to have the second "guitarist" off track and off pitch ..
but this is meant to be something much simpler. 

Quote from: Zben3129 on February 24, 2008, 01:05:44 PM
Is this for studio or live?

if its studio, go Jimmy Page style and record them all individually :)

Hi Zach, it is (fortunally) for live use.. 

can someone indicate where on the rebote #1 can i extract wet signal and dry signal from?
this could be a good start...

drewl

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you put one amp further away from the audience than the other, then that one will have a delay, compared to the first.
But personally, I'd just have one amp straight, the other with some chorus and echo.
the main problem in trying to make a signal look as though it is from a 'second' guitar, is that chorus & echo units normally have a constant LFO in them.. you really want a random LFO (that is, a noise voltage in the 0 to .2Hz region).

brett

Hi
I agree with Paul that a fixed delay will sound like an echo, not a second guitarist. 

Here's an idea - you might be able to replace the delay pot in the Rebote 1 with a volume pedal and fixed resistors that shifts the Rebote's delay over a limited range (say, 0.1 ms to 0.2 ms).  As you play, hold the volume pedal at different angles for different notes or passages, and it will sound like a second, imperfectly delayed, copy of your playing.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

royzic

these are great ideas , probebly better then my original one,,
but another delayed signal running through another amp is what i need.
having the second amp in distortion is another plus ..

rogeryu_ph

Try pitch shifter maybe this could help although the second guitar sound(note) is higher or lower than the original sound(note).
Just like Joe Satriani song "WHY"

Roger

newb

ive thought of making a similar pedal  before thanks for bringing this up.
now I may be wrong im still learning. but as far as extracting the wet/dry signals, what i would do is build the circut and then find the wet and dry signals using an audio probe i believe there is an audio probe tutorial floating around somewhere, but it is simply an (output) jack connected to 2 probes one which is grounded the other would be used to find the signal point you are looking for.

if any of the experts can confirm that this would be a good way to do this please do, as i said before im still learning modulation pedals still scare me.

Peace and Love
scott

royzic

Hi Scott

i was looking at the Rebot 1 first,since it is the most simple delay and is best suitable for this purpose. but unlike the other rebote models, it doesn't have an IC buffer. the place to extract wet signal on the other rebotes (as well as i know)is where the signal comes out of this buffer to the delay level pot.
can anyone tell if it is even possible to do it with the rebote 1?

Please ;D

StephenGiles

Your fingers are your best friend - listen to Mick Green of The Pirates.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

QuoteUse two amps, one clean one dirty!

That always sounds cool. Allan Holdsworth does this once in a while, it sounds really cool.

And then there's the good old doubling your parts in the studio. I think that sounds the best...

thejoe

Sounds like you're looking for the Brian May affect. He runs direct into one AC30 and  through an intellifex XL delay into another AC30. There is also another amp that recieves delays, harmonizer from a TC Elelctronics G Force, and a rotosphere.

Joe