Transistor Help.

Started by RyanGillam, February 24, 2008, 05:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanGillam

Hey,

I have been asked for the following, however I can find no equivilant on www.maplin.com for them (there probably is but I am struggling :p) can someone help me find some from Maplin?

For Q1 and Q2, NKT275 or other good germanium transistor of
  the PnP Configuration. JD Sleep (www.generalguitargadgets.com)
  recommends these other substitutions:

NKT275
   AC128
   2N508A
   2N527   
   NTE158
   NTE126

tcio

I came up with nothing on the Maplin website but you can find some of these if not all at Mouser.com

Zben3129

You won't find these devices on any website such as maplin, mouser,digikey etc etc etc...

These are vintage germanium transistors. They are not in production, the only way to get them is,

A. From Steve at www.smallbearelec.com
B. On Ebay, which is risky because theres a good chance they are fake-stamped
C. From people here who might have some to sell

Zach

RyanGillam

I guess these transistors can be substituted out for different sounds?

So I could use a different transistor?

tcio

I did a search at Mouser and they have NTE126,  NTE158, and a replacement for AC128. Please correct me if I am wrong. Don't mean to mislead anyone  :icon_razz:

Zben3129

Right you are  ;D

Never done that before...but I bet they are silicon with the specs of the oldies...Mesa germanium transistors in the data sheet info. Certainly strange...

Zach

tcio

Yeah. sometimes if I really like the results of a pedal after using one of these replacement parts I just keep playing through my prototype and keep watching on Ebay until the real thing pops up (hopefully). There must be some kind of compromise on these equivalent replacement parts.

R.G.

Ah, the idealism of youth...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

That's where the fun begins !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.