I found a spool of 26 gauge enamel coated copper wire...What can I do with it?

Started by zachomega, February 25, 2008, 06:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachomega

Not sure exactly how much I have...but maybe 200 feet? 

Any ideas?

-Zach

Zben3129

Hmmm enamel wire,

Isn't that the stuff used for Xformers/inductors?

Could try-
  *Winding inductors for a wah
  *Winding a small OT for maybe a ruby or something...tube amp OT's are a LOT harder, trust me, from experience.... :P
  *Winding a PT of some kind
  *ABSTRACT ART!!!!!!!

Zach

earthtonesaudio

26 gauge is pretty big compared to most sizes of magnet wire I have seen (usually 30-40 gauge).  Whatever you make would probably be able to handle a good amount of power, but it would be physically larger than a smaller-gauge equivalent part.

GravityRobert

I'm not entirely sure if this would be suitable for making guitar pickups but you could give it a try?

bent

Long live the music.....

The Tone God

Quote from: GravityRobert on February 25, 2008, 07:41:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this would be suitable for making guitar pickups but you could give it a try?

26 is way too big for pickups or atleast any what could be considered decent sounding.

Andrew

frank

I made my way downstairs. The stairs lead the way down onto the...street. They lead all the way up too, of course, saves me having two stairways. -Chic Murray

GravityRobert

Quote from: The Tone God on February 25, 2008, 08:03:55 PM

26 is way too big for pickups or atleast any what could be considered decent sounding.

You never know!  ;D Could be the most EVIL guitar pickup ever.... or worst sounding

frank

Quote from: GravityRobert on February 25, 2008, 08:12:55 PM
Quote from: The Tone God on February 25, 2008, 08:03:55 PM

You never know!  ;D Could be the most EVIL guitar pickup ever.... or worst sounding

:icon_eek:
Imagine the weight for having an OK impedance in a humbucker!!!!!
I made my way downstairs. The stairs lead the way down onto the...street. They lead all the way up too, of course, saves me having two stairways. -Chic Murray

earthtonesaudio

Aren't there humbuckers out there called "quarter pounders" by Seymour Duncan or something like that?  Yours could be "four pounders"

The Tone God

A pickup with that large of a wire gauge will be very low output. Not what I would call "evil".

Andrew

zachomega

Just on the spool with the wire wound haphazardly, I got a measurement of 2.75 mH and when I put a screwdriver shank into the spool, I was able to raise it up to about 3 mH...Bear in mind the spool is large so the screwdriver shank was nowhere near the wire. 

I also took a short bit of it and tried winding it around a larger drill bit.  I got a reading in the microhenry range. 

Nothing particularly useful. 

I'd hate to waste it just as bare hookup wire. 

-Zach

Ben N

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on February 25, 2008, 09:10:53 PM
Aren't there humbuckers out there called "quarter pounders" by Seymour Duncan or something like that? 
Actually, overwound singles.
  • SUPPORTER

km-r

OT's secondary for 100W marshalls...

errr... acoustic guitar strings???
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Lonzo

hmmm....

A hat....a brooch.....a pterodactyl?

cheers,
'zo

sorry....couldn't resist...

mdh

Know what?  Not all interesting/amusing/diverting things under the sun have to do with guitars, though I suppose this is a heresy around these parts.  Magnet wire is great for... magnets!  And solenoids!  Seriously, wind several courses of that wire over a skinny tube about 2 inches long, stick a finishing nail in the tube, and connect the ends of the coil to a DC voltage.  Then spend a couple of hours reading about magnetic fields on wikipedia.  This was my childhood, minus the wikipedia.  Of course, I had a 1963 set of World Book encyclopedias that had many hazardous/toxic/otherwise inadvisable science experiments in it.

So, think outside the (stomp)box just this once, and have some fun!