stocking up on ceramic caps - looking for a good assortment?

Started by chazzer, March 01, 2008, 01:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chazzer

im stocking up my bench and am looking to get a good selection of ceramic caps to fill in my ranges below 1000pf.

can anyone recommend a good assortment or kit of NPO or COG caps? if i can get them all in one kit that covers all values I would need, that would be great. im in canada so somewhere with Canuck friendly shipping is required! thanks.

nokaster

the futurlec value cap of ceramic caps should be a good option.
a lot of them for little $.

any order up to 29$ is only 4$ shipping and everything i ever ordered was at my doorstep within 2 weeks max.

i ordered nearly all their value packs. good stuff in there!

djwackfriz

Quote from: nokaster on March 01, 2008, 01:42:20 PM
the futurlec value cap of ceramic caps should be a good option.
a lot of them for little $.

any order up to 29$ is only 4$ shipping and everything i ever ordered was at my doorstep within 2 weeks max.

i ordered nearly all their value packs. good stuff in there!

seconded

while you're at it, get some of the other value packs!

GravityRobert

Yes, futurlec has some  good stuff for low prices. I got my stuff in about a week from ordering. Mind you, thats Thailand > Netherlands. I know dutch companies that claim to stock stuff and take longer to send out an order.

Thumbs up for futurlec! First time I got a international package that was hold together by string too  :D

earthtonesaudio

My first order from Futurlec went badly.  They said it'd be 2 weeks.  After 3 weeks, I emailed them about it, and 3 weeks after that I finally got my order (I ordered a bunch of value packs). 

Second time I ordered 30 10k pots.  Arrived in about a week and a half.  Excellent! 

Maybe they've improved their order processing, or maybe it had something to do with ordering a bulk quantity of one thing, who knows.  Bottom line, I will order from them again.

nokaster

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on March 01, 2008, 04:50:22 PM
My first order from Futurlec went badly.  They said it'd be 2 weeks.  After 3 weeks, I emailed them about it, and 3 weeks after that I finally got my order (I ordered a bunch of value packs). 

Second time I ordered 30 10k pots.  Arrived in about a week and a half.  Excellent! 

Maybe they've improved their order processing, or maybe it had something to do with ordering a bulk quantity of one thing, who knows.  Bottom line, I will order from them again.

this is the way to deal with them:
1. load up your shopping cart
2. pay for your stuff
2. get an order confirmation
3. send them a mail to tell them to delete and refund all items they don't have in stock at that moment, or ask them to replace those items with other stuff immediately.

worked very well for me each time, and normally they have everything in stock.

also check out their pots! 50 cent a pop...

and they carry some cool IC's like the LF353N etc...

they have everything we pedal nuts need except for germanium transistors, carbon comp resistors and other "vintage-y" stuff.

i've been asking them to add 3PDT's, 1590B, 1590BB, jacks and other pedal speficif stuff to their catalogue.
they say they'll look into it... i'm hoping they will, should be bargains if they do.

chazzer

just grabbed a buncha the value packs! cheap and easy!
thanks for the help folks.

how is the quality of those pots? that sure is a great deal.

Zben3129

I use the pots for everything I build. They are pc-mount, but I just insert the wires through the little holes and solder. Works perfectly.

There my #1 order stop

Zach

earthtonesaudio

The pots are nothing special, but work just fine.  They are Alpha, and I usually order the panel mount type.  These have 1mm leads coming horizontally off the terminals (not solder lugs), so you can poke them into perfboard pretty easily.  They are 5 holes wide, with one hole unused between each pair of lugs.

Some booteekers have actually started advertising that their pedals contain "genuine Alpha pots," which made me go "Huh? These are a selling point?"