Stompbox order, verify this please.

Started by Valoosj, March 03, 2008, 09:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

A few days ago I was asked to make something to switch between amps, but from a distance.
I never worked with relais before, so can someone verify my findings?

The guy has 2 preamps, and 1 poweramp. Both preamps are stereo. The goal is that he wants to switch between the two, but have the actual switch on his board, and the box where the actual switching happens near his amp, so he doesn't have to many cables lying around.

This is what I came up with.
Using this relais, would it work? I'm guessing I need to add a resistor, since the relais works at 6V.
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p503_Finder-3022-6-2PDT-6V.html

The guy also wants to have LEDs in the stompbox on his board. I know how to add these when using a normal switch, but how would I add these if the switch is momentary? I also don't know if the relais needs a momentary or a normal switch.

And finally, his amp uses a latching system to change channels. Does latching mean momentary or not?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

MarcoMike

hey, the last sentence got me confused.... which amp has already latching relays switching?!?

back on the drawing... normal relays deserve normal footswitches to operate: open: position 1, close position 2.

latching relays instead need two momentary switches as one throws the contact "on" position 1 and the other one to pos. 2

of course I guess you could operate normal non-latching relays with a single momentary switch, using a flip-flop circuit as in boss pedals.
I have no idea if you could do something similar with latching relays instead. (if anyone knows please share it, I'm really interested in this)

LEDs are easy to include in non-latching relays circuits, as you can use the unused pole of the stompswitch for them.

now a question: is there any switching of the input signal? wouldn't it be useful?
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Auke Haarsma

Valoosj

The latching question is just to change the channel of one of his 2 amps.

If I have to use a normal 2PDT footswitch, then the LEDs are no problem indeed.

What do you mean with the switching of the input signal?
He wants to switch between the two preamps, that both run to his poweramp.

Should I use special cable in this box where the switching between the preamps happens? I can hardly believe I can use normal stompbox cable in it.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

MarcoMike

hey, any progress?

my question about input switching was: how are you routing your input signal to the selected preamp? are they both always connected to the guitar signal? if yes, how?

about the cable, I guess you could use any kind of wire...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.