Looking for a variable boost

Started by Wild Zebra, March 03, 2008, 11:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Zebra

Hello looking to build another booster to drive my tube amp.  I already have a rangemaster and was looking for something a little more full.  Then I thought maybe there's a boost that is switchable between Full, bass, mid, treb, clean???  It doesn't have to be so many options.  So any suggestions?
"your stripes are killer bro"

hendrix2489

QuoteAll you do is find the tone capacitor of a design and replace it with a 5-6 position rotary switch that has 5-6 different value caps.  I have done it with a Vox Wah, Brian May treble Boost and a tube-screamer.

Quotedepending on what kind of Pups you got i would go with
0.0047, 0.01, 0.022, 0.047, 0.1, 1( in microfarads) which is what i used(sounds great w/lace sensors and hot rails)

but if you have really thin sounding pups maybe   0.022, 0.01, 0.022, 0.033, 0.047, 0.1

that should about do it

Wild Zebra

Well I guess I already knew that, but I don't want to mod my Range Master.  So  I could ask what circuit would be a good base for a variable cap set up other than a RM.  Or is there a circuit out there that is like a 3 setting  full, mid, treb??  Guess I'll poke around.  What is the LPB considered full??

Dragonfly

you could also check out the ROG "Omega"

the recluse

The Dan Armstrong Red Ranger is a Si transistor boost that offers Bass, Full, and Treble boost modes.  The stock circuit is not variable, and from my own experience is very loud, but I don;t think it would be too difficult to wire a volume pot between the output of the circuit and your on/off switch.

MikeH

I've always like the AMZ Mosfet Boost and the SHO. 
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

John Lyons

+1 on the Omega.
Goes from high to full range boost variable with a knob.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mnordbye

The AMZ Mini-booster sounds pretty full and good. It only has a volume control though, so it doesn't have the versatility you wanted. But it's recommended!

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Dragonfly on March 03, 2008, 01:46:44 PM

Most definately! A very versatile booster, from treblebooster to full boost to even some OD. Love it! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

suprleed

Quote from: mnordbye on March 03, 2008, 04:58:46 PM
The AMZ Mini-booster sounds pretty full and good. It only has a volume control though, so it doesn't have the versatility you wanted. But it's recommended!

Magnus Nordbye

I believe Jack has a "fat mod" in his blog for the AMZ mini-booster, so it does have some versatility that you are looking for.
"That's the way I play" ~EC

Wild Zebra

Thanks guys.  I looked at the omega,  I like that.  So it's a toss up between that and a red ranger with volume control hmmmm, maybe both.

John M

While different sounding from the rangemaster (I have a Java Boost with which I A/B'd it), I built the miniboost with the variable input cap selector similar to what Keeley uses on the Java Boost which gives you full/mid and treble/treble as well as Jack's Fat Mod (a voltage reducung mod that adds a bit more grit into the boost) and a presence control so that I can roll the highs off when in the mid and treble mode to have just a mid boost. The more I use this, the more I absolutely adore it. Sound wise compared to the Java Boost it is more dynamic and a bit less gritty. I would recommend using the 2N5457's in it as they sounded best to my ears although the others aren't bad.

John

Wild Zebra

John can you point me in the direction of some info on this?

chillhuman

Quote from: Dragonfly on March 03, 2008, 01:46:44 PM
+1 - this is a very simple build, and quite versatile ta-boot. Plus, it sounds good.

John M

For the input cap switching check out http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58484.0 as that is where I got my idea from, but go down a bit. Basically it is switching between those three cap values. For the other two I don't think I am at liberty to tell you the exact details as they come as a freebie when you purchase the PCB from Jack at www.muzique.com, which at 11 Dollars and 1 Dollar shipping makes it not worth the hassle of doing it another way but it is a simple presence control inserted before the output pot and a manner of reducing the voltage to the circuit (I hope I have not offended anyone by passing this on). There are also other cool mods you might want to try which he gives you in that freebie with the PCB purchase, so I would recommend doing it that way.

John