Sound of signal vs rectifier diodes

Started by Nick C., March 04, 2008, 11:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick C.

In my experimenting with clipping diodes in my SD-1 I hear differences between signal diodes (1n4148) and rectifier diodes (1n400x). To me the 1n4000x sound softer and more compressed. This is puzzling to me since their turn on voltages are similar to the 1n4148. There must be something else going on here as to how they clip. Am I imagining this?

Can someone please shed some light?

R.G.

Could be the junction capacitance, which is larger in a slower rectifier diode with a bigger chip/junction area.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MarcoMike

I've always thought the difference is not only in the threshold voltage, that way all diode should sound the same, provided a "proportionally loud" signal "hits" them....
I guess there must be some kind of impedence factor, like the diode has not the same resistance (and shunting ability) toward diferent frequencies. another factor may be the (correct me if/as I'm wrong) different recovery time of the diode to pass from conducting to not conducting and viceversa.

let's wait for the gurus... (one of which actually posted just at the same time as me..)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Nick C.

OK, so it's not my imagination, capacitance, impedance, speed may play a factor. I had a feeling that something more than the turn on voltage was happening.

I have messured the resistance across the diodes and their about the same. My meter measures about 10k, but what that would mean for diode I wouldn't have a clue. BTW LED's measured 40k.