RAT mods to a RAT mod

Started by kismet78, March 05, 2008, 04:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kismet78

Does this look like it will work? Basically, I had already done the 3-way mod from monte allum where you remove one of the diodes from the pcb and replace it with a 3-way switch (Si diode, bypass boost, LED). I want to incorporate an additional Germanium option by adding an additional switch, so that the existing mod will switch between Si diodes, middle bypass, and then an Alt setting which the second switch would determine, either LED or Ge.

MarcoMike

it seems it would work... what about a rotary switch instead?? you could have up to 6 different clipping sections with just one switch (no need for a second frankenstein hole...)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

flo

Also nice is to be able to switch in/out an extra germanium diode for asymetrical clipping.

kismet78

Quote from: MarcoMike on March 05, 2008, 05:07:08 AM
it seems it would work... what about a rotary switch instead?? you could have up to 6 different clipping sections with just one switch (no need for a second frankenstein hole...)

I'm not confident that I could fit a rotary switch. It already seems like a tight fit with a spdt mini toggle above the rat's knobs. Anyone seen it done? Recommend a tiny rotary?

kismet78

Quote from: flo on March 05, 2008, 06:53:39 AM
Also nice is to be able to switch in/out an extra germanium diode for asymetrical clipping.

ah, I remember seeing that option on the FKR, but I've never had one in front of me. What does it sound like in comparison?

kismet78

Would asymmetrical be a loop with one silicon and one germanium? Or two different silicon or two different Ge, etc?

MarcoMike

that would be asymmetrical.

asymmetrical clipping means that the positive and negative components of the signal undergo different clipping, resulting in a asymmetrical wave shape.

just try it and see (hear) if you like it!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

kismet78

I will as soon as I get home. The breadboard is still out.

QUESTION though. For the original mod I did (monte allums 3-way switch) one of the original diodes is left on the pcb while the other is removed and replaced with the switch/options, so wouldn't all of my options be asymmetrical already? I guess that's assuming that the diode on the pcb was part of the original feedback loop. Am I off-the-farm here?

See image: the one right below the star is left on the pcb, while the one below it is removed and replaced with the switch apparatus. (ignore the yellow box)

kismet78

updated my diagram to show the existing si diode on the pcb:

flo

Symmetrical: When the two signal parts (positive and negative signal parts) are clipped by the same clipping diodes.
Asymmetrical: When the two signal parts are clipped by different clipping diodes.

kismet78

Quote from: flo on March 05, 2008, 02:24:18 PM
Symmetrical: When the two signal parts (positive and negative signal parts) are clipped by the same clipping diodes.
Asymmetrical: When the two signal parts are clipped by different clipping diodes.

I understand the difference.

Now I'm trying to determine if my Rat (post-monte allums 3-way mod) still has ANY symmetrical clipping, which I believe it does when stock. If the diode on the pcb next to the one you remove to do the mod is part of the stock feedback loop, wouldn't that make all of my post-mod settings asymmetrical?

kismet78

OK, after a long long night of wiring and re-wiring I came up with a configuration that I really like, epically chronicled on my site:

http://www.kyletompkins.com/wp/?p=529

kismet78

Why is that all of the switches work in reverse? Flipping the right switch to the right (which should be the Germanium right?) selects the LEDs. The 3-way switch is in reverse too. Switching to the left triggers the LED/Ge mode and to the right is the Si mode. Am I stupid or something?

Just1More

This looks similiar to something I've been working on except I used DPDT switches.  Just put it together yesterday - will post photos in the next few days.  See this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64990.msg513767#msg513767

I got caught out by exactly the same thing with the switches.  Flipping the switch to the left makes the contact between the centre and right terminal and vice versa.  When you think about this from a mechanical point of view it's completely sensible.  A trap for young players I guess...

kismet78

OK, done:  ;D

http://www.kyletompkins.com/wp/?p=535

It came out beautifully.