Stupid questions regarding use of an Audio Probe

Started by eliktronik, September 20, 2003, 02:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eliktronik

Ok, so I'm using and audio probe to test a circuit... I make it past the first cap and resistor coming in series w/ the input, but I can't get a signal out of the emitter of the first transistor (Q1 of the ross compressor found on tonepad). Hastily, I replaced the transistor only to be left w/ the same problem... Is this normal? I can't get a signal any farther in the circuit... Any ideas? BTW, the positive voltage is getting to the trans. Thanks.

Mark Hammer

The only thing I can think of is that either the transistor gets damaged by overheating during assembly (rare, but it happens( or that there is a pin-placement error.  Make very sure that the pins correspond to the layout.  If you have any doubts download the datasheet of the transistor you are using by entering the part number and "pdf" into Google or some other search engine.  Hopefully it will come with the sort of picture that clearly depicts which pin goes where.  Some of them have pictures that are only clear to professionals or "old-timers" and ambiguous for novices.

eliktronik

So what you're saying is that I should have a signal there? What's weird is that this circuit worked for quite some time with everything set up the way it is now. I tested the transistor that I removed with my DMM, and it gave me the same value I got when I tested a new trann. Does that automatically mean it's ok? Thanks.