NOISY NeoVibe?

Started by BubbaKahuna, March 05, 2008, 01:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plankspank

Glad to hear you got everything working.
Quotebut it's only capable of about 180 BMP sweep speeds
If you desire more top end on the oscillator speed, a common mod is to change R42 & R43 from 4.7K to about 2.2K.

axg20202

Nice one. Was going to reply with this info myself but couldn't find the specific details. I carried out this mod on my neovibe and it solves the speed range issue perfectly. At full tilt it is faster than you're ever likely to need.

R.G.

Quote from: BubbaKahuna on March 13, 2008, 12:27:30 AM
First thing I did was check continuity of every single wire in this thing and found one of my wires wasn't passing any juice to my speed pot. This probably happened from all the in & out I've done trying to chase the noise issue. I replaced the wire (on my speed pot) and I could see the light running again. So far so good.
Put everything back together again and Ta-Da! I have a working NeoVibe.
Cool! Broken wire - it's the little things like that that I always overlook too.

Quote from: BubbaKahuna on March 13, 2008, 12:27:30 AM
I'm still not wild about the speed and depth limitations, but maybe I'm just expecting too much. I thought with everything cranked and through tweaking the bulb bias and output resistor mix I could get nearly useless amounts of sweep, but it's only capable of about 180 BMP sweep speeds with what I would call a decent amount of 'vibe' in vibe mode, but not really a lot of chorus no matter what the controls are set at. That's not to say there's no chorus, I was just expecting more to it I guess.
Be aware that although it says "chorus" the Univibe does not do chorus. It's a vibrato/phaser. The "chorus" setting produces phasing. The phasing is not as intense as the phasing from an opamp unit because (a) it's done with discretes and carries tolerances and other imperfections and (b) the phase time constants are spread out to get wider coverate of the audio spectrum for the vibrato setting.

Congratulations on getting it running!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.