True By-pass Strip

Started by QSQCaito, March 05, 2008, 08:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hello guys, here I am again. My guitar teacher is in need of truebypass strip, he does not know electronics so I'm going to do im the favour at the cost.

Nowadays he wants to use 6pedals, all comercially available so no TB in them. And you can actually hear a good tonal difference when he bypasses the pedals (one of them is a wah wah).

So I was thinking in a 7switch strip, 6pedals and a tuner, I will get his wah wah TB in the wah. He won't vary his setup much, so only one extra switch is added.

The upcoming question was.. can I put the 6inputs and outputs in just one cable. Shielded, the shield being ground, and 12 wires for I/O.  The tuner will be someway near so I don't included, but he wants to have his pedals in an anvil, and the strip in stage.And 12 cables coming out of it would be quite complicated and totally not necessary.

Any opinions about pro/con are really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

JasonG

I would do a search on the the pros and cons of TB pedals. Most wah pedals have low input impedance so no doubt you did hear a difference. Mark Hammer , RG and Pete Cornish  have made some good arguments in favor of good electronic switching. There is a time and place for everything if it makes sense do it if not don't wast your time.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

QSQCaito

Jason, I'm aware of pro and cons, also read pete cornish article about bypass in his web. The thing is that this is not for a new pedal I'm making, if not I wouldn't mind not using TB(if changed for another good way). It's far more easier doing a TB strip with a booster in the front rather than changing all the pedals to TB or to other bypass method, hence the strip.

Bye bye
D.A.C

Austin73

I think your making it sound too easy unfortunately. I'm sure if your just playing at home it wouldn't matter so much but RG and the others have a good argument for not passing audio to switches and back instead they use CMOS or Relay switching and only send the control voltages too the pedals which operate the loop remotely if that makes sense.

Check RG's site as he has a couple of 6 loop controllers and Tone God has some 'Wicked switches' lol

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Austin73

And RG's system uses standard Cat 5 cable so would be easier to get spares for problem free gigging

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

darron

there's been a few threads like this. there's one right now where the person just wants to use a stereo line for send/receive in the same cable. it would work, but i'd say it's not something that you should do. i don't like the idea of running all of those lines so close together over such lengths. also, when you toggle the effects on the signal has a heapppp more line to travel along and back. if you do it, definitely use a buffer first thing in the chain to combat the usual problems of noise and signal/tone loss. maybe even use the buffer in the tuner pedal? i'd even be happier with running the 12 single lines and using black cable ties to keep it all neat and semi-permanent. how cool would that look? if you give i a shot it will probably be okay (right?), but definitely use a buffer. try to avoid ground loops with lines going back and forth.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

DiamondDog

Quote from: darron on March 06, 2008, 06:33:07 AMi'd even be happier with running the 12 single lines and using black cable ties to keep it all neat and semi-permanent. how cool would that look?

How cool would it look when you tripped over a bundle of 12   1/4" cables?  :icon_mrgreen:

How heavy would that be? How hard to roll that up would it be?  ::)

It's all quite a horrible thought, really! :P

It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

QSQCaito

Maybe relays are the solution, as posted on geofex. Cmos too maybe.

So, lets redirect the thread.

I could use relays. They don't need heat, but won't be near a heat area neiither (no tubes nor weird heating stuff in his rig). A regular 12v relay would work?? Or it need to be the specific audio gold contact relay?? If I need relays I've got the solution posted at geo.

I could also use CMOS switching, would you guide me to a good remote solution please?

Why would I use, or don't use CMOS? Is there an audible tone change having a signal pass through around 8 cmos switches?

Thanks a lto!

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

QSQCaito

D.A.C