Solder and Health

Started by letsgocoyote, March 05, 2008, 09:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClinchFX

Quote from: brett on March 08, 2008, 07:39:17 AM
Hi
Hey Peter C - I suppose that makes you a fellow Qlder.  Hi.

Two things seem to have been true throughout industrialised times.  Firstly, each generation can't believe the amount of polluting that the previous generation let happen.  Two, each generation thinks that current laws are going too far, and complicance costs too much. 

We are such stupid animals.
cheers

Yeah Brett, I think I'm part of the previous generation that didn't know or care, but I'm learning.  I can't believe the number of people around the south east corner who think water restrictions should be relaxed so they can water their gardens.  It's the end of the traditional wet season and our inadequate dams are at less than 40% capacity.  We haven't watered our gardens in at least 3 years and they're still green.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effects Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

R.G.

If you can get beyond the sensational parts like the Baby Box, B.F.Skinner's "Beyond Freedom and Dignity" has some interesting comments.

If you want to elicit ->voluntary<- behavior of a particular type, the simplest, if not quickest way to do it is to make complying be something positive for the people who'll be doing the behavior. Positive reinforcement for compliance lets the person in the situation comply because they want to, not because there is a gun to their head.

The entire trick is setting up the situation so that the right behavior is rewarded. Once you get that done, compliance is voluntary, enthusiastic and self-policing.

You can lead a horse to water. You don't need to make it drink. The horse will drink all on its own if drinking makes it feel better.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gez

Couldn't agree more RG.  I think the following is correct.  In 1980s Germany the government wanted to dissuade manufacturers from using Aluminium cans and switch to glass bottles as they're greener - easier to recycle (especially if the bottles are collected and reused).  All they had to do was set up a tax incentive for firms who used glass bottles.  Overnight, the majority all changed. 

With me, things tend to get a little confused in the mists of time, but I'm sure I didn't dream that one!  :icon_lol:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

R.G.

That's a perfect example.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.