Tone Pot for DS-1

Started by zombiwoof, March 08, 2008, 05:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

I need to replace the Tone pot in my Boss DS-1, the shaft is bent.  I'm getting ready to do some mods to it, and I'm getting the parts, so I want to order a replacement for the pot.  I haven't opened the pedal up yet, from the schematics I've seen it is a 20K Linear, but I need to know what size and type the stock pot is.  I'm thinking it might be 16mm, is it regular solder lugs or board mount?   I know it's split shaft.  Anyone know for sure before I order the part?

Thanks,
Al

5thumbs

Al:

The DS-1 TONE pot is a 16mm 20K Linear PC-mount (board mount) pot with a short, split shaft.  If you can't find one of those, but can find one in 100K, you can solder a 12K5 (1% metal film) resistor between lugs 1&2 and another between 2&3 and make your own 20K linear pot from a 100K linear.

If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

zombiwoof

Quote from: 5thumbs on March 08, 2008, 12:22:06 PM
Al:

The DS-1 TONE pot is a 16mm 20K Linear PC-mount (board mount) pot with a short, split shaft.  If you can't find one of those, but can find one in 100K, you can solder a 12K5 (1% metal film) resistor between lugs 1&2 and another between 2&3 and make your own 20K linear pot from a 100K linear.

Thanks!  I'm going to do your mods to this pedal soon.  I'm pretty sure I can get an Alpha pot like that, maybe from Smallbear or Mouser.  I'm glad you told me before I went ahead and ordered a solder-lug pot!

Al

5thumbs

You could make a solder lug pot work, you'd just have to solder short little wires between the pot lugs and the mini PCB used to connect to the ribbon cable.

If you're considering trying some of my "MIJ" mods, please make sure to look at the newest one, the "Mondo-MIJ".  I like all the MIJ mods, but the Mondo-MIJ is by far the best.  Yes, I'm biased, but the Mondo-MIJ DS-1 is the only DS-1 on my pedal board any longer.  In fact, I use a second Mono-MIJ DS-1 as a replacement for my modded SD-1, so it's versatile as well.

You can find the "Mondo-MIJ" mod instructions in the 2-26-2008 version of the 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion" document located here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.  Pages 18-21 are the specific pages related to the "Mondo-MIJ".

Good luck!
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

zombiwoof

I've kept up with all the mods, and I just wanted to say that I found the pot on Ebay, they say it's for Tubescreamers, but they mention that it is also used in Boss pedals.  20k, 16mm, split shaft, pc mount.  2 bucks!  I'll  be tearing into the DS-1 soon.

Al

5thumbs

I think the TS 20K pot is a G-taper (according to "SmallBear" Steve Daniels, "G taper is reverse audio till midpoint and regular audio after that").  I think the DS-1 uses a linear taper pot, so you'll get a different behavior from the G-taper, but it should still work.

Good luck!

zombiwoof

I know that the one that Smallbear sells is a G-taper, but I found one at Lucibox on Ebay (isn't he a member here?), and the closeup of the pot says 20KB on it, so I guess it's different.  I doubt that it would make that much diffence, anyway, you find your tone setting and pretty much leave it there!

Al