swapping sections within an opamp

Started by niggez, March 10, 2008, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niggez

for example, im using a quad opamp. My layout would be easier by using a different order of the 4 opamps - can i simply (regarding correct + / - / out pins) swap around the 4 sections within the opamp? For example on an LM 324, one section of a schematic states to use pins 12,13,14. Can I simply use 1,2,3 instead and use 12,13,14 for the ones supposed to be in 1,2,3? (Regarding + / - / out)

R.G.

Yes. The sections are as identical and interchangeable as the manufacturer can make them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

basically...yes.
 four operational amplifiers using common power supply are assignable to meet your opamp needs up to 4 OA's.
 Notice though that with a quad you have 4 opamps on a common power supply.
 And dual is 2 opamps sharing a common supply.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

niggez

Mark Hammer

If you want to make layout even easier, I recommend buying some of the SIP form dual op-amps, like the AN6551.  Steve was kind enough to start carrying several different types over at Small Bear.  The nice thing about these op-amps is that it becomes the user's choice as to which side of the pin to locate a given component on.  For instance, you could have the feedback resistor on one side of the input and output pins, and the feedback capacitor on the other.  They are also more compact with respect to footprint; about 1/3 the size.