What tone control for Bazz Fuss?

Started by kismet78, March 10, 2008, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kismet78

I was messing around with the Bazz Fuss circuit over the weekend, but got stumped on tone shaping. I tried using a BMP tone control, but it really seemed to take a lot away from the Bazz Fuss' character. Maybe make the BMP tone control switchable so I can take it out of the circuit when I want?

A high-pass filter at the input cap or just switchable input caps seemed better at retaining the Bazz Fuss sound, but maybe not flexible enough?

Anyone here find a tone control they liked for it? Anyone else have any ideas they can throw out?

syndromet

The thickness-controll from the Bazzfuss deeluxe is pretty effective
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

kismet78

Quote from: syndromet on March 10, 2008, 02:14:39 PM
The thickness-controll from the Bazzfuss deeluxe is pretty effective

I think that's what I meant by low-pass filter. The only thing I didn't like about it compared to the BMP tone control I tried was that there's no way to dial out any high end.

rackham

I put an SWTC on mine and liked the results.

kismet78

Quote from: rackham on March 10, 2008, 02:22:57 PM

That looks really promising. I'll breadboard it tonight.

superferrite

Tell us how it goes.  I've got most of the parts to put this one together tonight!
I was thinking of putting a BMP tone control after the BF and throwing an LPB1 after it--I have a circuit for one sitting around unused.
Will this sound alright?
Psychedelic Garage Metal

kismet78

Do you recall the values you used?

I only had a few minutes to try it out tonight, so I didn't get a chance to diverge from the recommended jumping off points. At first listen it didn't seem to have nearly enough sweep for me.

kismet78

Dragonfly

Quote from: kismet78 on March 11, 2008, 01:05:07 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on March 11, 2008, 10:11:54 AM
http://www.runoffgroove.com/whisker.html

Are you suggesting the muff-type tone control or the alternate?

i'm suggesting that the whisker biscuit is very near to what you're trying to accomplish.... bazz fuss / bmp tone control / gain recovery stage...the whisker also adds a boost stage on the front end.

kismet78

Quote from: Dragonfly on March 11, 2008, 01:41:34 PM
Quote from: kismet78 on March 11, 2008, 01:05:07 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on March 11, 2008, 10:11:54 AM
http://www.runoffgroove.com/whisker.html

Are you suggesting the muff-type tone control or the alternate?

i'm suggesting that the whisker biscuit is very near to what you're trying to accomplish.... bazz fuss / bmp tone control / gain recovery stage...the whisker also adds a boost stage on the front end.

You're right, that's very close to what I'm trying to accomplish. Damn it.

rackham

Quote from: kismet78 on March 11, 2008, 05:02:35 AM

Do you recall the values you used?

I only had a few minutes to try it out tonight, so I didn't get a chance to diverge from the recommended jumping off points. At first listen it didn't seem to have nearly enough sweep for me.

I'm pretty sure it was the last one on this page:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

Definitely pretty versatile for a bass.

kismet78

kismet78

OK, I'm going to run with the Whisker Biscuit, but I'm also after a bit more versatility (i.e. standalone boost, whisker, bazz fuss solo, with or without tone control). I'm playing around with a tighter perf layout (1590B!). Yikes.

First off, I'd like to be able to bypass the tone control via spdt mini-toggle. I'm thinking I should be able to wire the switch right before R8 and before C5. Correct? Am I asking for trouble with the following recovery stage since there won't be the db loss from the tone control? Should I be bypassing the recovery stage too if I don't want to use the tone control?

Next, the part that's stumping me. I also want to make the boost and the bazz fuss sections toggleable separately, but on which side of C2 to insert the switch has me confused. Would I put the boost switch before C2 and the bazz fuss switch right after C2, so that it's available for both as either output cap or input cap respectively?

I want to have some control over the boost for when the bazz fuss is switched out, better to use the collector resistor (as shown) or the emitter to ground?

I have some other ideas, but maybe that's enough for one post...

kismet78

kismet78