ToneBender Howling Like a Pig

Started by Wagster, March 13, 2008, 03:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wagster

I built a TB MKII using the board and layout from GGG.I got the transistors from SmallBear.It was sounding awesome and all of a sudden it started howling.When I turn the gain down it drops the pitch.Below 3:00 the noise goes away but the pedal still sounds weird.I've checked the transistors and they seem fine.Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,
Billy

mac

Check the filter cap across the power supply.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

R.G.

Is it set up with PNP transistors and negative ground?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dragonfly

Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2008, 10:43:51 AM

You should make that your "signature", R.G.  :D

It might save you from having to ask all the time !

R.G.

I should, but putting it in a signature is placing it where it will certainly be ignored.  :icon_lol:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Wagster

Quote from: mac on March 13, 2008, 06:29:04 AM
Check the filter cap across the power supply.

mac
I found that the solder broke free from the board on the power supply cap.I fixed it but it's still howling.Hmmmmmmmm

Wagster

Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2008, 10:43:51 AM
No it's PNP positive ground.

petemoore

Any ideas on what it could be?
  Yes, it is a Tonebender which doesn't function correctly and needs debugged.
  See the debugging thread, or at least post battery and circuit point voltages [from Gnd. across supply, then to each transistor pin].

When I turn the gain down it drops the pitch.
  = Oscillating
  Below 3:00 the noise goes away
  pitch and oscillation are gain dependant
  If
  but the pedal still sounds weird
  Q2 and Q3 of Tonebender is a Fuzz Face [so all fuzz face related debugging info applies]
  Q1 of tonebender is the extra gain stage tacked on the FF's front end.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: R.G. on March 13, 2008, 10:55:13 AM
I should, but putting it in a signature is placing it where it will certainly be ignored.  :icon_lol:

;D

Wagster

I'm such a newbie  ;D

I'll I took some reading and here's what I got

Voltage at the circuit board end of the black battery lead = 9.62

Here's the Schematic   http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/tonebender_m2p_sc_pp.gif

Q1)
C= 7.05
B= 0.09
E = 0.00

Q2)
C= 0.40
B= 0.11
E=0.00

Q3)
C= 0.45
B= 0.40
E= 5.30

Wagster

petemoore

DId you socket the transistors?
  Find the Tonebender 'ballpark voltages at ROG, Homewrecker or GGG [I forget where I see those], or use just the FF to debug the FF portion of the TB..
  and start with Q1, treat it like the booster stage it is.
    Q1)
C= 7.05 Collector is near top rail, what does it's bias resistor measure? 
B= 0.09 Base needs to be >1 diode drop above emitter, check any resistors *connected to it
E = 0.00 Seems 'near 'nuf' to ground being at exactly ground potential.
  *When measuring these resistors, choose 'distant point' [farthest probe point] to also test as many connections as possible at the same time
Q2)
C= 0.40  {Low, apply DMM to measure bias resistor,
B= 0.11  [Should be higher, probably comes up when collector does,
E=0.00  = Gnd.

Q3)
C= 0.45   {Measure bias resistor,
B= 0.40   [nothing but Q2 collector on this one  ;)
E= 5.30  {Oh my, much higher than collector, which is wierd, collector should be the one connected nearest the voltage farthest from ground...I suspect typo, mis-pinout or...hmm...check everything including resistance to ground here, 100k to Q2base etc. something funny going on here.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Use the search function, keywords : Tonebender voltages

mac

Q1: if the transistor is leaky then collector voltage goes down. If leakage is very small, like a Si, then you need to add an extra resistor of about 1M from C to B.
I'd like Vc1=8.0v or so.

mac

Wagster

I really appreciate the help guys.I ordered another board from GGG.I'm going to debug this one first.I have a lot to learn and this place is full of valuable info.I'll use the search function next time  ;)

Thanks,
Billy

mac

If you plan to build more pedals I suggest you to buy a breadboard. It will save you a lot of trouble.

mac