Reference amp for testing pedals

Started by tcio, March 15, 2008, 10:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Quote from: doug deeper on March 16, 2008, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on March 16, 2008, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: doug deeper on March 16, 2008, 05:28:48 PM
i used to have a peavey bass practice amp that ruled for this purpose but it caught on fire.

We regret to inform you that you're amp was "done in" by Mid-Fi Electronics. :)

Tell the truth Doug - it was an experimental pedal that destroyed your amp, wasn't it ?  :D

not this time!
it was a broken bass keyboard (i was plugging it in for the first time to see what the deal was.........its still broken)
i do need a new speaker for my pathfinder though thanx to a certain 4 octave down signal!

Nothing "normal" ever happens around Mid-Fi !   :D

Gus

earthtonesaudio

tico's first post seemed to be more about finding an amp that would be a compromise to check effects on.
  IMO it might be more of an art to make a effects like the big companies that work with a lot of amps and guitars.

Yes changing parts in an effect can sometime work out better with a guitar amp speaker but it might not sound not so good with another guitar, amp, speaker. 

There seems to be no easy answer to tico's first question for one ref amp.

newfish

Tiny Marshall MS2 does for me.

Runs off a 9v battery.  If it works through that, then and only then does it touch the Valve stuff.

Being a DIY forum, I realise it would be better to use the Smokey Clone, but the Marshall's always sat on the shelf.

Yes, sometimes I *am* that lazy...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

DougH

I don't agree that designing a pedal to work with a variety of different amps implies a lowest-common-denominator compromise. It's pretty easy for me to build a one or two knob pedal that works with one particular guitar/amp/speaker combination. But I have built things that can be tuned to work with all my amps (with different EQ's as well) and guitars and still sound good. That always involves more artistry and effort than focusing on one particular rig.

I test my stuff at stage volume with real speakers too. I don't see much point in tuning a pedal around a direct injection speaker simulator. I build my stuff with the intention of being used with a real amp, real speakers, in a real gigging situation. The direct setup is just for convenience and if it is designed right, whatever sounds good with the amps will sound good with it too. (So far I've found that to be true anyway.)
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

petemoore

1  Anything.
2  Exactly what I'm going to be using at [about] exactly the settings it'll be used at. Then double exactly that [except the effects chain and guitar of course] when more volume is needed.
[1]  Anything tells me most everything about any effect Except:
 Noise floor [gives 'hints' that's about it...gotta listen real close to hear 'em
 Distortion character [same here, but the hints are very often misnomers
 Frequency response [vague and missing important details
  Mostly I just use anything that amplifies to test if signal is passing, boosted, distorted whatever, the initial pre-test and debuggings generally get done on a 'nothing' amp, as in computer monitor or LM386 type, nothing much invested...can be just about anything.
[2] That'd be small Tube amp or amps [15w or 18w] for me because I use them for the distortion quality.
  This type setup [with 'HQ' speaker[s
  Tells me all I need to know about sound
  Detailed frequency response info
  Better noise floor info [at a certain point, noise floor info is pispoor to useless].
  I simply 2x the amp and speaker configuration to increase volume [I'm using the amps to distort].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ayayay!

This is an excellent thread.  Thanks for starting it.

My method is to use two amps:  one SS, one tube.  The biggest factors for those (which I own) are that they a) have a ridiculously clean channel, even at louder volumes and b) they must have excellent dynamics.  It's like starting with a clean canvas to me.  If the pedals have good dynamics and "dirt" through those clean puncy amps, then they typically sound good with most other amps as well. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Melanhead

hmmm, that's a tough one as I always test on my Boogie 22 caliber and Marchall JCM800 ... the Boogie gives me the "fenderish" sound, as I test it clean with a bit of grit and the marshall, well gives me a marshall tone ... I generally taylor the tone with my Boogie though as it's what I gig with and use the pedals with mainly.

It's hard to suggest just one amp to test on so you can do what I do: ... lend the pedal to friends and get feedback ... The only problem is that you tend to not get most of 'em back  :icon_mrgreen:

BUT, unless you're selling to the masses, it's best to have it sound fantastic on the amp you use the most, rather than sound just okay on all amps ...

ayayay!

Quote... lend the pedal to friends and get feedback ...

Yes on that too!  Always get two people's opinions if you can! 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.