ToneBender MkII/1k Attack Pot Vs 2K

Started by Wagster, March 18, 2008, 02:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wagster

What tonal differences do you guys hear between a 1kB and a 2KB pot in the MKII Circuit?

yeeshkul

when attack is fully up there should be no difference, i guess the only difference is that you can reach less fuzz ...

Wagster

mac

If you add a 2k pot you need to increase the collector resistor by 2x, so final gain would be the same when pot is at min, since Rc/Re would be constant. Maybe the transistion from dirt to clean would be smoother. Also the new resistor could interact with the output cap changing the output freq response.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

yeeshkul

Mac i am just curious, if this was a common voltage divider where you get half voltage by 2 resistors of the same value then yes, you have to increase Rc 2x to get 4.5V on collector .. but in this case ... pot is 1k and Rc is roughly 10k to get 4.5V in the middle. I mean do you really have to increase the Rc 2x in this case?

mac

The base of q2 is set by q1 collector and it is almost fixed at 0.6v or so no matter the size of the fuzz pot. So the emiter of q2 should be also almost constant. If the voltage is fixed then ie=ic will be reduced by 2x.
You now need to increase Rc to keep 4.5v at q2 collector.

mac

yeeshkul

thanks Mac, i see now (i suppose you were talking about Q2 and Q3).

mac

Quotethanks Mac, i see now (i suppose you were talking about Q2 and Q3).

Yes, q2 and q3.

mac