News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

I'm Hooked!!

Started by GtrmanMoe, March 18, 2008, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GtrmanMoe

Hi everyone.  I've been a member here for just under a year.  In that time, I've learned an awful lot by reading the posts here and making use of the search function.  In a nutshell, everything I know about building stompboxes, I learned here.  So thanks to you all.

I recently completed a series of four builds in the past two weeks.  All are Tonepad projects:  Distortion+, Rebote 2.5, Ross Compressor, and CE-2.  These four pedals were my first attempts at etching my own PCBs, sourcing the parts, and drilling the enclosure.  I guess one could say my first projects "built from scratch."  I must say that the experience was amazing.  These pedals sound amazing!  I had previously built two GGG projects (Guv'Nor, BSIAB2).  Both of those were kits, and were great learning experiences as well.  I'll be posting pics soon of all six builds including gutshots, which should detail the progression in my abilities to solder and wire offboard components.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have made my foray into the wonderful world of DIY stompbox building so enjoyable.  I'm a pretty high strung guy, and working on these projects has a calming effect unlike any.  As my understanding of circuits and schematics and layouts grows, I'll be sure to become a more active participant in this forum. 

Again thanks to you all, and especially to Aron for this forum.
Bob Iles | Guitars and Such
My Solo Project

Mark Hammer

I don't think those people who have migrated here from other forums, or simply stumbled onto this place somehow, realize exactly how critical the stamina and dedication of folks like Aron, and the DIY spinoffs like JD Sleep and Francisco Pena and Steve Daniels are to making all of this viable.  In a culture where web-sites start up and disappear, or the people in charge disappear, it is nice to know that some things remain stable and dependable.  Now that I think of it, I'll bet you the editorship of your favourite guitar magazine has changed more over the past dozen years than the leadership of this forum has.  Think about that.

And yes, I realize there is a long list of other people, and that I'm probably somewhere on it.  But understand that one of the things that keeps all of us regulars coming back is the fact that the management has not changed.  It's like the comfort you feel in going to the barber who has cut your hair since you were 8 years old, or the diner you have been going to for breakfast for 15 years.  That's a big part of why the rest of us come here.

Glad to have you on board Moe, and look forward to being able to reminisce with you about the forum in another 10 years.   :icon_wink:

earthtonesaudio

Ditto what Bob said.  This forum taught me a whole lot.  Thanks Aron and longtime contributors!

aron

It is the great people that have stayed, or come and gone that have made this place what it is. It's been a fun ride so far for sure!

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 18, 2008, 02:12:26 PM
  It's like the comfort you feel in going to the barber who has cut your hair since you were 8 years old...

Any connection between this and your post about Van Morrison?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=66025.0qwq

signalpaths

I agree whole heartedly, great folks here.  Many of you are a constant inspiration to me.  Thanks for giving direction to a new gen of engineers, designers, scientists, string pickers and of course hopeless gear addicts. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

much love to you all!!!

Trogg

I agree, the information shared by the community on this forum is fantastic, and for me being a total noob in the effects world its invaluable
My thanks to everyone for making this information available and thanks to Aron for providing us with a place to discuss it

CLAAS

Thank you all for this very cool place !!!

DougH

Four builds in two weeks??? Wow! That's downright ambitious compare to my usual snail's pace. Congrats, and I'm glad you're having fun. :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

GtrmanMoe

I hope nobody I work with reads this....I haven't completed four of anything at the office lately!  ;D
My Solo Project

tranceracer

Quote from: GtrmanMoe on March 18, 2008, 01:54:28 PM
I recently completed a series of four builds in the past two weeks.

That's pretty good!  I'm lucky to get one box done in 4 months!  (;

I'm a pretty high strung guy, and working on these projects has a calming effect unlike any. 

My real job is quite stressful and this hobby is therapeutic for me too!

Looking forward to seeing your builds!! (:

arma61

+1 to all the above

..and +1 to this too
Quote from: GtrmanMoe on March 18, 2008, 01:54:28 PM
  I'm a pretty high strung guy, and working on these projects has a calming effect unlike any. 

.. and
...and that I'm probably somewhere on it. 
sure you're!

writing this while building, together!, Rebote 2.5, BigMuff PI, Highway89, Colorsound Inductorless wah!

Greetings to all "Joseph" and to all "father" in this forum!!

cheers
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

GtrmanMoe

As promised, pics posted on pic thread.
My Solo Project

tranceracer

Good job! I like the minimalist box motif.  :D

GtrmanMoe

QuoteGood job! I like the minimalist box motif.

Thanks!  It's less a minimalist approach than instant gratification, or ADD.  Someday I plan on finishing the boxes.  Someday...maybe...what was the question again? :icon_confused:
My Solo Project

bwanasonic

I don't think those people who have migrated here from other forums, or simply stumbled onto this place somehow, realize exactly how critical the stamina and dedication of folks like Aron, and the DIY spinoffs like JD Sleep and Francisco Pena and Steve Daniels are to making all of this viable.  In a culture where web-sites start up and disappear, or the people in charge disappear, it is nice to know that some things remain stable and dependable.

Aside from having cool pedals that you made yourself, I believe the knowledge you gain about the signal chain as a whole is maybe the most valuable lesson learned from DIY pedals. I haven't yet built my own tube amp, but studying the materials that guys like RG Keen and Jack Orman provide, I have learned quite a bit about the amps I use, and how the various pedals interact with them. Aside from the pillars of the DIY scene Mark mentioned, there are a whole host of inspiring minds like Tim Escobedo, the Runoffgroove guys, commonsound.org, Doug Hammond, and the original and unique designs posted by forum members here. The DIYstompboxes archives are an amazing resource, thanks of course to Aron, but to all the amazing particpants, including those crazy guys who build four pedals in two weeks! :icon_wink:

frank_p

Quote from: bwanasonic on March 22, 2008, 11:56:32 PM
I don't think those people who have migrated here from other forums, or simply stumbled onto this place somehow, realize exactly how critical the stamina and dedication of folks like Aron, and the DIY spinoffs like JD Sleep and Francisco Pena and Steve Daniels are to making all of this viable.  In a culture where websites start up and disappear, or the people in charge disappear, it is nice to know that some things remain stable and dependable.

Aside from having cool pedals that you made yourself, I believe the knowledge you gain about the signal chain as a whole is maybe the most valuable lesson learned from DIY pedals.

It's like the comfort you feel in going to the barber who has cut your hair since you were 8 years old, or the diner you have been going to for breakfast for 15 years.  That's a big part of why the rest of us come here.

Glad to have you on board Moe, and look forward to being able to reminisce with you about the forum in another 10 years.   :icon_wink:

People don't realise on the spot, but I can tell you for sure that this place brings an immense sense of communauty and it's a really fast effect.  I remember that in 1996 I was reading some "technical" papers that were written on the web and was dreaming about knowing more of (quote) "the knowledge about the signal chain as a whole" in amps and effects.  Electronics was a real mystery for me even if I made all of the "160 in one" projects of the Science Fair springboard kit (and made some classes in basic electricity physics).  It appears that those guys are on that forum and seems to enjoy it (and they give some time to newbies like me).  It would be silly not to be gratefull for that.  In our modern industrial world it's been rare that I've been in a technical job and veterans (and work mates) would give me longs advices about this and that.  You have to be efficient, and right now.  If you show you are ignorant about something you might be at the door.  So people don't always take the time to speak of what they don't understand and also about the technical things that they are interested in (even more if it's naive and dreamy) .  Here you are put straight with comprehension and humour when you say stupidities.
So the final word is that I think that DIYstompboxes site is good for both sides of the brain.  Knowledge in electronics, interest in music and belonging sentiment are all present on this site and its the synergistic effect of all these elements, that keep good people here, (I think; correct me if I am wrong).

Hats off to you all !!! 

And this is for my nostalgia:

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/taffram.htm
and

(I should make a fuzz in this one now !!!)