Tonal differences between Tonebender MkII and 3-knob

Started by gutsofgold, March 19, 2008, 04:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutsofgold

Anyone willing to point out tonal differences (in general) in the Tonebender MkII and the 3-knob fulltone version?

John Lyons

The 2 knob is more smooth and has less gain. The MKII is a beast. The 3 knob is more of a classic smooth germanium tone with a big muff type tone section.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nico13

QuoteThe 2 knob is more smooth and has less gain. The MKII is a beast. The 3 knob is more of a classic smooth germanium tone with a big muff type tone section.

John

John,

I Think you mean 3 knob (and not 2 knob) tonebender.

John Lyons

Yes, I meant 3 knob. These dang fingers!
3 Knobs smooth
2 Knobs mean   ("two legs good, 4 legs bad")

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gutsofgold

thanks! I already have two nasty fuzzes that get the job done. and just one last hesitation that is keeping me from starting this build...

if I wanted to build a smooth, FAT, thick sounding fuzz would go for the 3-knob colorsound version or the 3-knob fulltone soulbender?

thanks again

Orpheus

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 01, 2008, 12:55:40 AM
thanks! I already have two nasty fuzzes that get the job done. and just one last hesitation that is keeping me from starting this build...

if I wanted to build a smooth, FAT, thick sounding fuzz would go for the 3-knob colorsound version or the 3-knob fulltone soulbender?

thanks again

Right - you want an MKIII then - fatter and warmer than MKII.  The MKIII can sound mean as hell though, it just lacks the bite and high-end spitiness of an MKII. Though, some mutual tones can be had with both models. 

gutsofgold

Yup! I'm using one of GGG's layouts and they have both a 3-knob boutique and 3-knob colorsound. was wondering if i would notice a difference. the boutique version has a trimmer already in the layout so i guess that would make things much easier.

Orpheus

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 01, 2008, 04:25:04 PM
Yup! I'm using one of GGG's layouts and they have both a 3-knob boutique and 3-knob colorsound. was wondering if i would notice a difference. the boutique version has a trimmer already in the layout so i guess that would make things much easier.

That trimmer makes all the difference, if you want true versatility with your MKIII, so I recommend it highly.  When you lower the bias trimmer it turns the gain level and saturation down on the transistors.  It also has the effect of slightly lowering volume too, as input gain impacts volume.  What this does is enable the volume and fuzz pots to be opened up more - so a more trebley, raspy and less rounded tone is produced, as one hears with MKII versions.  It's something you may or may not need, though if you like MKII tones too, you love it.