Talk to me about FET circuits...

Started by m-theory, March 20, 2008, 08:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-theory

I just built a Peppermill and a minibooster, and I really like both circuits a lot.  I'm in the process of putting together a 3 way pedal, with an overdrive, a distortion (ok, not a REAL distortion...heavy O/D would be more accurate), and a boost.  I've done this in the past with a T/S variant, a BSIAB, and a mosfet boost, and it's fantastic, but I'm thinking that something in the FET world would be interesting for these circuits, now that I've heard what they can do.

I'm thinking that the OD will either be the Peppermill or a fat boostered, based upon what I've heard from this recent build.  I love the sound of the Peppermill, but I feel like it should have a bit more gain capability, which is why I'm thinking fat boostered there.  I've also heard that the Odie is a bit gainier, so I'd like some input on that.  If the Odie is basically a gainier version of the Peppermill, that may be my choice for O/D.  Has anybody used a fat boostered as an overdrive, and if so, what are the impressions?

For the "distortion" circuit, I'm thinking Hwy 89, Shaka V, or perhaps a Thor.  I'd like some input from those who've built these circuits as well, and I'd love to see a vero layout for the Shaka V, if one exists.  I cannot seem to locate one anywhere.  Does anyone know if Jack makes PCBs for that, or is there anyone that would be interested in doing that for me?  I'd really like to build that circuit, whether or not it ends up in this particular box. 

For boost, if I don't use the fat boostered circuit for O/D, this will be the circuit.  If it does become my O/D, I'll probably opt for a mosfet boost there. 

In general, what I'm looking for, throughout this pedal, is a very "open" and dynamic feel, and similar tone/feel with all three circuits.  Thanks.

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

m-theory

Cool!  Any chance of those appearing in vero form somewhere?  I'm not equipped to do my own PCB's, and am an utter helpless moron at pure PTP via perf. 

Anthing for ideas on the distortion side? 

John Lyons

I'd go for the HWY 89. a great sound and very full with lots of gain and level. Use a 100K pot at the output.
If you need any circuit boards made I'm your man. Just let me know.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

m-theory

Thanks, John!  I'll keep that in mind, for sure!  I can't even count how many times I've steered away from builds, simply because I couldn't find a vero layout or PCB. 

I was leaning towards Hwy 89, based upon what I'd read.  Why the swap to 100k on output? 

m-theory

Another question, with regard to the overdrive circuit...is the Odie also a gainier version of the Peppermill, or is that entirely different? 

burnt fingers

I think the ODIE is a different animal than the peppermill.  It sounds a lot hotter.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

m-theory

Ripdivot

The Blue Magic sounds great. I think it blows away the TS.

John Lyons

The HWY 89 has a ton of output volume, too much really. 100K keeps things in line pretty well.
Even then there is a lot of output volume at halfway up.
Another thing to do is put a 100K resistor across the wiper and ground (on the 500K pot) which will make the pot a super audio taper.
This helps and will give a better range to the pot.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

m-theory

Ah, now you've really got me hankering to build that Hwy 89!  Anything that has to have the output tamed is right up my alley!

I'm going to try that Blue Magic for an o/d circuit.  I was thinking of that a while back anyway, and when I looked at the circuit, I realized that it might be what I'm looking for. 

petemoore

try something constructed completely from fragments.
  Tweek them.
  reposition them for best results.
  race them against circuits of like ilk.
  Then do it again.
  Get rid of the extra holes and ugly boxes.
  Make final adjustments to positioning.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.