IC Big Muff, 3003B.

Started by bumblebee, March 20, 2008, 06:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumblebee

i traced this from photos of an original,its the original PCB layout.
its not verified,i dont need to build it as i own one.(1322)

it probably wont fit in an enclosure much smaller than a bmp box tho.
i was gonna put it in an old bmp enclosure i have but then i bought the ic version and i dont need to anymore.

you can buy the PCB mount pots from mouser and new sensor.

lucaneo

Cool...I hope this is identical to the original one. I've built a Bm3 op amp clone, it's similar, but there is something of different. The original has a more "opened sound", I dont understand what is different....mine seems more compressed. I've build the clone with this project http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/EHBigMuff1977.pdf

nelson

Quote from: lucaneo on March 20, 2008, 06:13:01 PM
Cool...I hope this is identical to the original one. I've built a Bm3 op amp clone, it's similar, but there is something of different. The original has a more "opened sound", I dont understand what is different....mine seems more compressed. I've build the clone with this project http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/EHBigMuff1977.pdf

EHX is notorious for subbing values because they were cheap and on hand. Mike Matthews himself has been quoted as saying that any two vintage muffs don't sound exactly alike. The opamp muff should be more consistent just because of the circuit topology. But, you can't escape component tolerances and the parts subs in the filters which will make them sound different.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

lucaneo

Ok but, I 've listened 2 bm3 big muff   and the  sound  seems the same, "more opened ". 

Here in the link http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~3qxta8  a friend of mine has tried his original big muff 1977, and my clone after. The orginal  is the firt in the mp3.  This mp3 is not great quality and the ampli is an "home  transistor ampli", but you can also understand the difference.  :icon_wink:

bumblebee

i feel any two ic bmp's will sound more similar than any two transistorized versions.
but, like nelson said, EH is notorious for using anything they have to build the same effect.
i like that they do this as it gives us some variety within the same pedal.

Gila_Crisis

are you sure that R1 goes to +9V and not to ground?

bumblebee

yea your right,ill upload the amended layout. thanks for letting me know. :icon_mrgreen:

bumblebee

the corrected LO is in the OP.

Gila_Crisis

bumblebee

isnt the layout in the Original Post? its showing up for me.

killerkev

Are the pots linear or Audio?

bumblebee

linear.
btw,who edited the title of this thread? it will screw up the search so change it back please!
also why is my layout gone? it wont even let me post it again. someone is screwing with my post so fix it!

geertjacobs

seems like a "language cleaner" passed by and replaced "inappropriate words"...

???

bumblebee

yea,very odd but im still not allowed to post the layout in the thread,it keeps saying its been deleted.

bumblebee