Stereo Cab-Sim questions...

Started by plunderpot, March 21, 2008, 05:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plunderpot

Hello!

I'm working on building a stereo cabinet simulator using the Condor Cab Sim notes at runoffgroove.com (http://www.runoffgroove.com/condor.html).  I'm building it on two separate PC boards and using dual-ganged pots.  I'm excited, and it's very much a learning project as I'm still new to all of this.

A few questions:
1. What's the best plan for grounding?  All of the grounds going to just one of the input jacks?
2. Is there anything I should be aware of with powering it?
3. Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much, what a great place this is!

Best,

J

Processaurus

Good idea!  I could definitely use something like that.  For grounding, I usually ground things however is convenient, the only time this has been a problem in the DIY pedal realm for me is with cmos logic, lfo's, and charge pump IC's.  They can put noise on the ground lines which can get into audio if it is upstream from them in the grounding.  Star grounding is the thing to do then, I make a small loop of wire with a little end sticking off, and solder all the grounds to it, and then solder the little end to the power supply minus.  That makes it so there aren't a jillion things soldered on the poor DC jack, especially handy if you use the plastic kind that have the nut on the inside, makes it much easier to unsolder it to get the circuit out of the box.

Soldering everything to the input jack may work in many circuits, but is generally not a good way to go, as all the potential ground noise from the circuit is getting piggybacked on the ground accompanying the possibly fragile (hi impedance) input signal entering the circuit.

The output jack would be a better option ( I do that a lot, because it has a big lug handy), power supply probably the best, but it often won't matter in analog pedals, as long as all the grounds are indeed connected somehow.

plunderpot

That's great help, thanks so much!

J