anyone need 9V battery clips?

Started by Faber, March 22, 2008, 09:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faber

hey, I was cruising around Make Magazine's site and found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Salvage-9V-battery-clips-from-dead-batteries/

its a really easy demo about how to make 9V battery clips from dead batteries.  I will never run out of clips again!!!

just thought you all might enjoy it  ;D

Zedmin_fx

Sweet thanks man that really cool.

Gus

I like the added new idea of the strain relief.

beens

Just make sure you're using safetygoggles when picking the dead battery apart. I had to spend a couple of hours at the doctor after the battery exploded right into my face and eye.
Have'nt done this since, battery clips are'nt that expensive.

tranceracer

I could have used this a couple of years ago when I was scrounging for 9V battery clips and extending little shorty leads on the one did have.  Now I have a bunch from Mouser.   :icon_rolleyes:

QuoteJust make sure you're using safetygoggles when picking the dead battery apart. I had to spend a couple of hours at the doctor after the battery exploded right into my face and eye.

You got that right!
a couple of months ago, I was sitting at my project bench soldering and "BANG!" a 9V battery blew it's bottom out just sitting there not connected to anything.  Scared the living $#!+ out of me.   :icon_eek:

kurtlives

Neat...

Id rather spend $0.20 and just buy my clips. A lot less work  :D
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bumblebee

i used to do this and they are waaaay stronger snaps than what you can buy,they look cool too.

earthtonesaudio

I have been doing this since pedal #1, but without the strain relief.  I think I'll start incorporating that into the process.

It's a lot more work than buying one, but it helps keep the landfills a wee bit smaller.

Another earth-friendly tip:  Use a non-toxic water based glue instead of hot glue.  So far no problems with durability.  It saves a couple Watts of electricity and avoids burnt fingers at the same time-double bonus!

This is the stuff I use (available at craft supply stores):
http://dollmakersjourney.com/CPU.jpg

Faber

Yeah, taking apart batteries was never the safest thing, but for those of us who need to save as much money as we can, it's a pretty good idea.
I found a dead 9V sitting around the house today.  Project for tomorrow!!!

beens

Its a good tip for sure, specially for the times a battery clip is the only part your missing for a project. But again, remember to wear eyeprotection. I got some ugly burnmarks in my face, but luckily I wore contactlenses and I think that saved my eye..

bumblebee

never had a problem opening 9volts as all thats in side is a bunch of smaller batteries,theres no chance of acid getting out.

Faber

I did it on a Radioshack battery today and it worked great except the terminals didn't like the solder... I checked it with a continuity tester and everything is ok!

I'll be doing this from now on!

beens

Quote from: bumblebee on March 22, 2008, 10:34:31 PM
never had a problem opening 9volts as all thats in side is a bunch of smaller batteries,theres no chance of acid getting out.

I have picked batteries apart without any problems before, and that was part of why I got so surprised when I sat there with my eye full of whatever it is inside them.
Im just saying.. Making your own clips out of dead batteries is a good tip, and the way I see it, wearing eyeprotection is also a good tip. Just for that one time something unexpected happens..

Mark Hammer

Been doing this for damn near 10 years.  http://hammer.ampage.org/files/DIY-snaps.pdf

One bit of advice, though.  The resulting snap will be a bit thicker than "standard issue", making things a bit cramped once you have a battery connected to it, to the point of making it impossible to close the back panel shut.  I have found this to pose problems with 1590B-size boxes.  You can make life easier for yourself with one of the "classic" red Eveready carbon-zinc style batteries.  Slightly bulkier Duracells and similar will certainly last longer, but may not fit the available space.  Of course, when it comes to 1590BB-size boxes, the space thing is a non-issue.

In general, the better quality the battery, the better a snap it makes.  Cheap batteries tend to have plastic tops and bottom which do not take a solder joint particularly well.  You want to use the batteries with fibre ends.  Finally, keep a small file on hand to scrape away the chrome plating from the backs of the rivetted snaps, so they can take a solder joint.

Personally, I recommend having the two wires come out the middle in a "T" formation, rather than out the end.  That will give you more flexibility with respect to placement. 

mybloodyvalentine

Thanks for this man! That is a great idea. I love it.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 23, 2008, 03:46:35 PM
Been doing this for damn near 10 years.  http://hammer.ampage.org/files/DIY-snaps.pdf

One bit of advice, though.  The resulting snap will be a bit thicker than "standard issue", making things a bit cramped once you have a battery connected to it, to the point of making it impossible to close the back panel shut.  I have found this to pose problems with 1590B-size boxes.  You can make life easier for yourself with one of the "classic" red Eveready carbon-zinc style batteries.  Slightly bulkier Duracells and similar will certainly last longer, but may not fit the available space.  Of course, when it comes to 1590BB-size boxes, the space thing is a non-issue.

In general, the better quality the battery, the better a snap it makes.  Cheap batteries tend to have plastic tops and bottom which do not take a solder joint particularly well.  You want to use the batteries with fibre ends.  Finally, keep a small file on hand to scrape away the chrome plating from the backs of the rivetted snaps, so they can take a solder joint.

Personally, I recommend having the two wires come out the middle in a "T" formation, rather than out the end.  That will give you more flexibility with respect to placement. 

Mark, I have been on your page countless times, and I never noticed this file.  Go figure.  Thanks for the tip about filing off the chrome!  I will try that next time for sure.  I never thought of that!

For those concerned about safety, I would recommend the safety glasses as well as some good gloves.  I tend to just pry the metal cases apart with whatever tools are handy, and the sharp edges are pretty scary.  Better to take 2 seconds to put on the gloves and glasses than to risk injury.