any use for these tubes?

Started by bonkdav, March 22, 2008, 08:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonkdav

I have a gang of tubes but i know absolutely nothing about them.  I took out all the tubes i have use for (the 12a*7 variants)and now i have this list of tubes and i have no idea what i should do with em.  can i use them to build things? should i sell them? or should i just throw them away.  Im pretty sure most of these are for radios or tvs but let me know if anything seems useful in the diy realm or if you have a use for them.

6bk7b
12bh7a
6bz7
6ba6
6aq5
6be6
6au6
12be6
12ba6
50c5
12av6
35w4
6sh7
12k8
6k8
6h6
12sh7
6ac7
5z4
6j5
12sL7gt
12sk7
1Lh4
12au6
12at6
12aq5
12x4

thanks

davis

davent

Hello,

I can help with a few. The 6aq5 is said to be a small tube variation on the 6v6 though you are limited to 250v on the plates. I've got a sleeve of them sitting around here and plan to start using in them the next amp I build. The 6sl7 is a nice preamp tube, double triode similar in gain to a 12at7. Using one of those right now in a mutant Princeton 5f2, favorite tube in there at the moment. Also using those in my hifi power amp as the phase inverters. The 12sl7 is the same as a 6sl7 but requires 12.6v for the heaters rather then 6.3v hence the 12 prefix. I use a 12bh7 as the power tube in my Firefly instead of the 12au7.

That's it off the top of my head. I recognize some of the others but not familiar with them.

Take care
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Renegadrian

You got a bunch of useless old tubes...Just pack them all and send them to me...Get rid of them!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
Jokin'...

The 12bh7's sound very good in a Valvecaster!!! Give'em a try!!!

Also, I believe that 6be6's could be used in some guitar fx. not tested yet, tho'...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Gus

Google, ASK, etc  frank's tube page and look up the numbers

DougH

All you want to know about all those tubes: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

If you can't find a use for them, send them to me. I will properly dispose them for you...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

mountianjustice

Those are not useless tubes at all ive made valvecasters out of ba6, be6, av6, and au6 tubes. All sounded great but the tubes were original 1960's rca and silvertone tubes so there may be something to that. If your looking to get rid of them Bonkdav send em my way ill send you back a valvecaster or two.