Properly Grounding a pedal?

Started by YouAre, March 23, 2008, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

There are many different methods of grounding a pedal, how do you guys do it? For example, do you run a wire connecting the two sleeves of the in/out jacks together? Do you ground to the chassis of the pedal? Basically, how do all of you wire your pedals to be grounded? I'm just curious to see the differences.

bumblebee

since the enclosure is metal i dont ground the output jacks,they ground them self.

heres a good diagram for ya.

merc

Nice diagram.  I already knew the grounding stuff, but I didn't know how to wire up a DC jack.  Now I do.  Thanks.  :)

aron

Processaurus

Quote from: bumblebee on March 23, 2008, 05:25:03 PM
since the enclosure is metal i dont ground the output jacks,they ground them self.]

Boss does that, leaves a jack sleeve unconnected to get grounded by the chassis.  At a show a while back both band's where having this awful and heinously loud cutout, ground noise problem that was intermittent and seemed to happen when people started dancing, wasn't the cords.  After the show we figured it was my friend's TU-2 that everyone was using had a slightly loose jack, and it was the one that didn't have a ground wire running to the sleeve.  Since then I just stick a wire on there.

merc

Well I thought using the chassis was okay too, but sticking a wire in there is so easy...and if it can protect you from trouble later on down the line, why not?

Pushtone

I ground everything to the output jack.

I start by connecting as many grounds as I need to the out jack and feed them around the box.
My enclosure are super heavy powder coated so I send a ground to the input jack just in case the paint is impeding the connection.

This one was for a dual footswitch dual LED pedal so there are lots of ground lines.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith