Has anyone a PCB for MXR Dist+ with active gain control?

Started by gigimarga, March 25, 2008, 02:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

Hello,

I found on this site http://www.geocities.com/diygescorp/ a very interesting schematic of a MXR Dist+ with active gain control (thanx to Alfonso Hermida for sharing it).
Has anyone a PCB for it?

Thx all!

snoof

Interesting.  I wonder how it sounds, does anyone have any direct experience with this crkt??

O

I have an unverified PCB layout around here somewhere... if I find it, I'll post it. The pedal sounded really good from what I remember (I modded a Dist+).

O

Ok, here it is. The layout is unverified, so if someone wants to verify it, I'll post the complete pdf file with the ready to print board and components list.

gigimarga

O

Timebutt

Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

gigimarga

The PCB seems to me to be OK...the only little problem is Q1...if it's a 2N5457, as in the schematic, the pinout doesn't fit in.
Can you post the pdf file here?

O

I threw together the pdf so it might not be accurate (size-wise), but here it is anyway.

http://www.pedal-tech.com/MXR_Dist.pdf

The board size is 1.8 inches (45.72mm) by 1.350 inches (34.29mm)

gigimarga

thx a lot...i hope i will build it next week and i will post a report on it...thx again for your kindness!

O

jpm83

Notice that 4558 and 741 has different pinouts. 4558 is a dual opamp and 741 is single.

Janne

O

Quote from: jpm83 on March 26, 2008, 06:37:41 PM
Notice that 4558 and 741 has different pinouts. 4558 is a dual opamp and 741 is single.

Janne

Yeah, that part of the schematic never made sense to me... of course, the power supply section is missing from the schem too, so I had to transplant the one from the other, other modded MXR schem that Alfonso put out there.

gigimarga

The PCB above seems to be for an 741, as the original MXR, am I right?

snoof

as far as I can tell from a quick look, the layout above is for a 741(single) opamp.  the original used the 741.  as pointed out above, a 4558 ain't gonna work in there.

O

Quote from: gigimarga on March 27, 2008, 01:13:36 AM
The PCB above seems to be for an 741, as the original MXR, am I right?

Yes, the schem has U1 designated as a 4558, which in this layout, won't work. I can re-work the layout if someone wants a dual opamp instead of a single (but that is wasting half of a dual opamp which is silly).