Help me tweak this fuzz's bias

Started by squidsquad, March 25, 2008, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

Since I wanted to hear how it sounded w/a bit too much & too little.....I used a 250k pot.  One way gets a splatty/gated sound (I dislike).
The other direction the tranny will simply stop doin it's job & your sound fades out.  To me...that threashold.....right before it fades....but before it gets TOO loud....was the *sweet spot*.   So I measured & put a resistor there....it's near 100k.  This is not a fuzz face...so these tweaks are more subtle.....and the *boundarys* perhaps not as usable...just helped a bit.  I also tweaked the input cap and fuzz control cap to get slightly less distortion...and am very happy w/the sound.

Michael Weidenauer

The Axis is my main fuzz for more than 10 years - still love it as it is (without the red parts). To change the low gain sounds I think it's best to tweak the bright-cap bypassing the gain-control. I never saw any reason to change the bias point - it biases well with most trannies. Even germaniums work well, but don't improve the tone, they just just sounds a bit muddier.