Splitting signal for use with two amps

Started by mattpocket, March 26, 2008, 09:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpocket

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I checked in but I'm designing a solution to a problem I have.

I want to run two amps at the same time, one of them is single channel and the other is dual. To control the gain of the single channel amp for clean sounds I would normally use the volume knob on the guitar, or a volume pedal. I also know I can build a simple pedal to switch between full volume and a set volume by bypassing a simple volume pot. Thats not a major problem. The problem comes in that I want to press one switch that will both switch the channel on my amp between clean and dirty and lower the volume of the single channel amp.

So first things first, I need to split my signal in two. What is the best way to do this, can I simply use a y split by putting two jack outs on the end of a single jack in? Or will this cause some sort of impedance issue, will I need a buffered circuit, and if so is there such a circuit already drawn up I can steal?

So basically, I want one switch to change the channel on my amp, as well as bypassing a volume control on the other signal line. I reckon a 3pdt would be enough (with one pole used for an LED) as the signal for the dual channel amp doesnt need to go to the switch at all because it will be left unaltered. I think that part is fairly simple, but I just need to know how to go about the Y splitting really.

Thanks in advance guys,

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

petemoore

The problem comes in that I want to press one switch that will both switch the channel on my amp between clean and dirty and lower the volume of the single channel amp.

So first things first, I need to split my signal in two. What is the best way to do this, can I simply use a y split by putting two jack outs on the end of a single jack in? Or will this cause some sort of impedance issue, will I need a buffered circuit, and if so is there such a circuit already drawn up I can steal?
  Guitar pickups load easily, I used the AMZ buffer 'string' [which gives me a chosen 3 source follower outputs, I don't need 4 and use only 2...]. That takes care of the signal loading, but does nothing for the amp to amp ground loop created when...looping amps [in this case the noise increase when plugging the second amp in is 'nominal', YMWV].
So basically, I want one switch to change the channel on my amp, as well as bypassing a volume control on the other signal line. I reckon a 3pdt would be enough (with one pole used for an LED) as the signal for the dual channel amp doesnt need to go to the switch at all because it will be left unaltered. I think that part is fairly simple, but I just need to know how to go about the Y splitting really.
  I'm glad you think it's simple, I have enough troubles with confusion on these 'Y by' word problems, more even that when I'm looking at a drawn up schematic.
  The way I described how I split takes care of the signal loading problem, but leaves ground connections between the two amps..to avoid a voltage @ ground. Lifting the ground can be done by using say 1:1 transformers for signal outputs [and insulated jacks of course], then the ground voltages 'ride' on the amps ground, helping keep ground at 0V as far as the amp can see..

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mattpocket

So are you saying this cant be done too simply then pete, I was thinking I could split my signal by using something like the Y setting of an ABY pedal? You can use one of those for one guitar into two amps cant you?

Thanks

Matt

mattpocket

Thanks very much for that link, it looks just the ticket.

Unfortunately, I am working to a deadline and I cant get to the layouts gallery while I'm at work, but has anyone done a PCB/VERO layout for this, also would the ROG Splitter blend do the same job, or would I still have ground voltage issues? The one of RG's looks great, but the ROG one has a verified layout (plus I havent built anything for about 6 months :( )

Thanks guys, help is much appreciated.