Which Fasel to put into a "stuck wah" pedal for Knopfler tone

Started by hillio, March 26, 2008, 11:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillio

I'm going to build a DIY Crybaby with a regular pot in a Hammonds enclosure.  The goal is to get something at least reasonably close to the 'stuck wah' tone that Mark Knopfler uses in Money for Nothing.  I was trying to decide which color Fasel inductor would be best suited for this application.  Does anyone have any input they'd like to share?  From everything I've read so far, it seems to me like the yellow one would have a bit more fuzz to it than the red one, which I think would make it best for what I need it for. 

Thanks.

tcobretti

I honestly doubt it matters for just the fixed MFN tone, but the yellow is dirtier, the red is more brittle, but both rock.

I think any inductor would work for a fixed spot.

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: hillio on March 26, 2008, 11:18:47 PM
I'm going to build a DIY Crybaby with a regular pot in a Hammonds enclosure.  The goal is to get something at least reasonably close to the 'stuck wah' tone that Mark Knopfler uses in Money for Nothing.

He was also using a Les Paul with the pickups out of phase on that track.  He talked about it in Guitar Player at the time.
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

Phorhas

A bit OT, but - were the coils of the humbuckers themselves out of phase, or the pickups from one another in the middle toggle position?
Electron Pusher

Solidhex

Yo

Having the neck and bridge pickups out of phase with each other (not individual coils) makes for a great "stuck wah" tone. I also find rolling off the tone off the neck is interesting too. Seems to be more of a complex sound than a stuck wah.

--Brad

Barcode80

Quote from: hillio on March 26, 2008, 11:18:47 PM
I'm going to build a DIY Crybaby with a regular pot in a Hammonds enclosure.  The goal is to get something at least reasonably close to the 'stuck wah' tone that Mark Knopfler uses in Money for Nothing.  I was trying to decide which color Fasel inductor would be best suited for this application.  Does anyone have any input they'd like to share?  From everything I've read so far, it seems to me like the yellow one would have a bit more fuzz to it than the red one, which I think would make it best for what I need it for. 

Thanks.
he used a stock crybaby, i believe the fasel on those is yellow. here is my rehouse for the same idea:

ayayay!

Hey Barcode80, that's clever.  I'll bet it sounds much better than that Q-zone flop Dunlop/MXR had a while back. 

I love that your board is a GCB-95!  Have you thought about tossing a switch in for the sweep cap? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Barcode80

i haven't, as i eventually dismantled it  :icon_biggrin: i needed the box and i never really used it much.

Mick Bailey

I thought of building a Colorsound inductorless wah for the same reason, only to get a Schenker sound. I had a 30w Roland modelling combo some time back that did this really well off a single pot on the front panel (the idea was to use an expression pedal to get the sweep, but I never needed it). It nailed UFO's 'Just Another Suicide'.

Tim Escobedo has some interesting wah circuits that don't use inductors. Might breadboard a few to see how they compare.

Out of interest re: MFN.....

To quote from March 2008 Guitarist magazine;

"Les Paul Junior + Laney amp = chicks for free. "We were going for a ZZ Top sound, but what we ended up getting was kind of an accident" recalls producer Neil Dorfsman."

Solidhex

Hey barcode...

Where did you get the rubber backing on the baseplate of your enclosure?

--Brad

rikkards

Looks like mouse pad  :)

Quote from: Solidhex on May 02, 2008, 01:37:20 PM
Hey barcode...

Where did you get the rubber backing on the baseplate of your enclosure?

--Brad
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

Barcode80

it's this little craft foam they have at wal-mart (and i'm sure most craft stores). it's just a piece of foam about 1/8 inch thick with a fully adhesive backing. $.48 a sheet :)

Paul Marossy

QuoteI think any inductor would work for a fixed spot.

I agree.  :icon_cool:

Quoteit's this little craft foam they have at wal-mart (and i'm sure most craft stores). it's just a piece of foam about 1/8 inch thick with a fully adhesive backing. $.48 a sheet

That's what's on the bottom of all my pedals. It's called "Foamies", and any craft store will have it.  :icon_razz:

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: Phorhas on March 27, 2008, 05:12:33 AM
A bit OT, but - were the coils of the humbuckers themselves out of phase, or the pickups from one another in the middle toggle position?

Neck and bridge pickups were out of phase, which is now the popular "Peter Green" wiring.

Knopfler said he rolled off the volume of one pickup slightly to lessen the effect.

I may still have the issue of Guitar Player.. but my wife was cleaning house one day and...  :icon_frown:

I'll take a look and see.
SGD Lutherie
www.sgd-lutherie.com

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: Barcode80 on March 28, 2008, 02:22:40 AM
he used a stock crybaby, i believe the fasel on those is yellow.

So what is the difference between the yellow and the red anyway?
SGD Lutherie
www.sgd-lutherie.com

DiamondDog

Quote from: DavidRavenMoon on May 28, 2008, 12:13:01 AM
So what is the difference between the yellow and the red anyway?

Refer back up to the second post! ;)
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

DavidRavenMoon

SGD Lutherie
www.sgd-lutherie.com