MXR Distortion+ Diode Question

Started by mattpas, March 27, 2008, 10:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpas

I am building an MXR D+ pedal and was wondering about the diodes.
I want to make it to the original specs and I see there are different diodes referenced.
BYOC uses 1N34A
GGG Uses 1N4148 or 1N914
Tonepad uses 1N914

Which ones were in the original and which will give me the best, smoothest gain sound?

Gus

Try the different ones and find out.  It depends on the player/guitar/ amp used and your TASTE in sound.

Krinor

I don't know which were in the original, but in my case germanium in asymmetric setup seemed to sound best.

Fender56

1N270 is the original diode (germanium). 1N34A is similar, but some people do here some differences... Best way is to experiment!!!

bipedal

Dunno which will be best/smoothest -- you may want to socket 'em and try both.  Germs will clip sooner and have a bit less output volume when compared to 1N4148/1N914s.  Take a look at http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simplemods#Simple.2C_Easy_Mods.2FTips_.26_Techniques.  (Part of the wiki.)  Some good thoughts about diode usage, germ vs. silicon, etc.
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

snoof

oops, wrong thread :icon_redface:  Carry on...

Mark Hammer

As noted, the original used 1N270 germaniums, but 1N34 or 1N60 are perfectly acceptable substitutes.  Do note that there is always some within-part variation in diode forward voltage.  I've had germaniums that clipped at 180mv and others with the same part number than clipped at 240mv or more.  If I were you, I would not accept any assertions about this one being "smoother" than that one at face value until you had objective measurements that confirmed you were talking about two diodes that clipped at the identical forward voltage and simply differed in how they started to conduct at that same voltage.

WGTP

For "smoothness" you might try a 100 - 1K resistor between the diodes and ground.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames