Skreddy Pink Flesh questions

Started by TKS, March 27, 2008, 11:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKS

First off I will start by saying that I own a Pink Flesh and it is my favorite (only) fuzz.  I was going to get a second one as a backup but since they are now discontinued I thought I might try to make one for myself I even have some of the same transistors that are in the Skreddy's.  My question is, is the PF a Tri. BMP with a different tone stack (tweaked values) or did Marc add components to a Tri. BMP?  I was thinking about tracing it out myself but if anything happened to it I would freak.  Anyone know?

DougH

Why don't use ask Marc? He hangs out here sometimes.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Skreddy

It's just a BMP with tweaked values and maybe an extra cap or resistor around the tone stack.

The reason I discontinued it was my last order of 2N5133 transistors did not contain any that were high-enough gain.  Turns out I have a few bags of those that I had summarily rejected earlier but can still be used if I test them carefully for noise and pay attention to which parts of the circuit can use which gains.  I don't want to put the Pink Flesh back into open production, but I will still try to fill orders for them for as long as I can.

There are many, many ways to get great tones out of the BMP.  For me, I generally start with the transistors and work my way out from there.  I find that I don't have to travel too far from the values of the triangle knob version to get most of what I want them to do.  Substitute a 10uf electrolytic for the input cap, tighten up the bass and add a bit more lowpass filtering at the tone stack, and you've basically got something that is capable of decent Gilmour-ish tones (assuming all the individual components sound good, etc.).

There's nothing special going on.  All pots are 100k L.  The clipping diodes are regular small-signal silicons.  The big diode is just a DC blocker for the power supply--you can use germanium or a schottky.

manson

"Substitute a 10uf electrolytic for the input cap" .. that's quite far from the original 0.1uf .. Doesn't that make it extremely bass heavy? Why did you make this change if I may ask?

DougH

QuoteI generally start with the transistors and work my way out from there.

Are you saying that transistor types make that much difference in a BMP? With 3 gain stages and all that diode clipping?

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Skreddy

Quote from: manson on March 28, 2008, 06:53:26 AM
"Substitute a 10uf electrolytic for the input cap" .. that's quite far from the original 0.1uf .. Doesn't that make it extremely bass heavy?

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  But no; it's not as bassy as you might think.  An electrolytic needs to be a pretty large value to pass a decent amount of audio bandwidth compared to film caps.  The 10uf electro adds more saturation and has another pleasant side-effect of allowing you to turn down the sustain without the tone getting all gritty. 

QuoteWhy did you make this change if I may ask?

It wasn't even my idea; it's the "ram's head" version's input capacitor.

Quote from: DougH on March 28, 2008, 07:57:12 AM
QuoteI generally start with the transistors and work my way out from there.

Are you saying that transistor types make that much difference in a BMP? With 3 gain stages and all that diode clipping?

Yes.  For example: start with four circa 1969 Fairchild 2N5133's and build a stock triangle-knob BMP; and you'll get a smooth, harmonic, mellow, dynamic, amp-like sound.  Do the same with four modern 2N5088's, and you'll get a glassy, fuzzy, aggressive, compressed, transistory sound. 

The clipping diodes don't just clip the signal; they interact with the transistors in a negative feedback loop.  The transistors' basic personality will still fundamentally shape the response of the circuit.  There are many more factors involved than hfe and cin.  The more you press a transistor beyond simple linear mode and the more you multiply this behavior (with multiple stages), the more profoundly you'll bring out its subtle quirks.

soggybag

Sounds like some good suggestions I'll have to try out 10uf input cap.

SonicVI

Here's a pic for fun of my "Ram's Head" with the 10uF electros. Trannys are original 2n5133's.  I made a triangle clone (even used the original pcb pattern) using newer 2N5133's, carbon comps, and all ceramic caps and it's true the Ram's Head is not at all bassier.

ultar

has anyone here used the 2n5133's stocked by small bear? just wondering how they sound in the muff circuit.

SonicVI

I used the Small bear 2n5133's in my triangle clone and it sounds pretty good to me, very very similar to the above ram's head.  I ordered 20 of them and most of them were pretty low gain. I used the four highest gain ones I got which were around 400, most were under 100.

SonicVI

Although, when I measured the 5133's in my ram's head they were also pretty low gain.

ultar

thanks for the info. i'll be ordering some soon to try out in different circuits. might sound good for a silicon fuzz face is the gains are around 100.