Russian Germanium Transistors

Started by zombiwoof, March 28, 2008, 03:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

I know some here have experience with the Russian germanium transistors, was wondering which ones might be the best for Fuzz Faces and other fuzz/booster pedals.  I notice there are GT322, GT313, and GT308 with various letters after the number (308V, 308B, 308A).  Do those letters denote different gain groupings, like with other transistors (BC108A-B-C etc.)?.  Which of these, or other ones, should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Al

ambulancevoice

yes the letters do indicate more or less hfe versions
like my GT311's, the data sheet shows that each letter/version has a different hfe
there is also a thread with layouts and stuff for the GT311's to be used in a fuzz face, since there npn
try seaching ebay about those other GT's. the guy who sells them has a little info about each on the product page
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

zombiwoof

Quote from: ambulancevoice on March 28, 2008, 09:59:06 AM
yes the letters do indicate more or less hfe versions
like my GT311's, the data sheet shows that each letter/version has a different hfe
there is also a thread with layouts and stuff for the GT311's to be used in a fuzz face, since there npn
try seaching ebay about those other GT's. the guy who sells them has a little info about each on the product page

They're NPN?  I thought the store that sells them says they're PNP.  That's strange. 

I also wondered about the transistors I've seen that have an "MP" prefix, they seem to be Si, but I can't find any info using cross-references.

Thanks,
Al

Meanderthal

I got a batch of the GT311 with the X/w I thru it symbol(whatever, the 50 - 200 hfe ones). Cheap as dirt, extra leg for shielding, kind of hard to find good sounding pairs out of a batch of 100, but there were some in there. Yes, they're NPN, that's why I bought them. Really, 2n404a have been the best germs I've tried on a FF, but they're PNP, so positive ground is preferable for them. I got a batch of OC140 that were pretty good NPN once, but those are impossible to find cheap anymore.

But, I would really rate the GT311 as mediocre, but cheap, so worth it..
I am not responsible for your imagination.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: zombiwoof on March 28, 2008, 08:52:49 PM

They're NPN?  I thought the store that sells them says they're PNP.  That's strange. 

I also wondered about the transistors I've seen that have an "MP" prefix, they seem to be Si, but I can't find any info using cross-references.

Thanks,
Al

the GT311 is NPN, but most germaniums are PNP, i think cause they work better in PNP then NPN but i dont know
GT311's are the only npn GT germs in know of
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

zombiwoof

the GT311 is NPN, but most germaniums are PNP, i think cause they work better in PNP then NPN but i dont know
GT311's are the only npn GT germs in know of
[/quote]

So, what you're saying is the GT311's are NPN, but the others (308, 313, 322) may be PNP?  For some reason, I thought the other poster was saying they're all NPN.   Thanks for the clarification.

Al

amz-fx

I posted some info about the Russian germaniums that I bought:

http://www.muzique.com/news/?p=52

regards, Jack