Tonepad Small Stone - I've searched the forum and can't find an answer

Started by MissionBrown, March 29, 2008, 10:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissionBrown

Hi folks.
First post here, but not first build.

Sooo... here goes.
I've built a bunch of stuff for people and this is the first one thats got me stumped....

I've built the phaser with ca3080e chips and 88/87 transistors.

I can hear the LFO working as a very low bass sound. My monitors were moving but I couldn't hear squat.
There isn't any audio passed through except on power up/down and thats only for a brief moment with no evidence of phasing.

I have all the transistors oriented the way the board has them indicated, though I have tried them in reverse positions too(all socketed).

Each CA3080 has been tested in the #5 position and they all so pretty much the same low frequency rumble.

At one point when i had Q1 and Q2 in the reverse position I was getting audio through, but that isn't the case now.
I'm testing off a 9v battery.

Any ideas? is it a bad capacitor?

deadspeaker

Hi, I'm somewhat of a beginner myself, but I've some advice. I like to print out a big picture of the schematic and pick through the circuit with a continuity-meter, highlighting/sharpieing connection by connection on the schematic to make sure that i don't miss anything. It's possible your problem might be just a few missing connections, unless you are using a PCB. Good luck with the debug, the Small Stone is my next project so let me know how it goes. 

MissionBrown

Hoo boy is my face red or what? :icon_redface:

Ummm.... I think some form of evil monkey must have mixed up my 10k resistors with the bag of 470k resistors and I didn't notice til just now....
Either that or I should pay MORE attention to what I'm doing.
Heh.

Its working now, though considerably quieter than my 1993 Sovtek Small Stone with the volume drop mods added(which I just noticed cause it to clip)

I used of of FP's boards and I think they sound pretty similar to the real deal.

Cheers
A